Wearing Foam Ear Plugs on a Roller Coaster?

Discussion in 'Support' started by danimadss, Jul 3, 2017.

1. danimadss

danimadss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      This has probably already been asked but asking again.

I'm going to an amusement park for the fourth and I know it's gonna be loud on the rides with everyone screaming so I wanna wear my foam 33 decibel ear plugs I own on the rides.

Is it safe?

My right ear is a little full but hopefully that'll go away in the next day. Just wondering if I'll be okay wearing them on the rides!

Don't know with the speed and pressure of going down if it'll have any effect with my tubes if I wear them. Thanks!

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      danimadss

danimadss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      Thanks for the reply Bill. I'm not really asking about relying on the plugs to protect me from the sound just the sole question about the pressure and safety of wearing then in my ear. I don't want the plugs to get lodged in my ear canal because the roller coaster is going too fast. I'm not too concerned about the noise. I've worn these ear plugs three times to 3 concerts in the last two weeks and to a club and my T has remained the same, so I'm assuming just wearing the plugs while walking around the park, I would be fine. I just wanna know if it's safe to wear them while being on a ride. Like the same on airplane, because of the air pressure. Get what I'm saying?

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Would it be better to use earplanes since they're designed to wear in a situation where air pressure changes? Just throwing out an idea.

If you could, let me know how it goes! I'm hoping to go to an amusement park later this summer. I went to a kiddie one last month but couldn't ride any of their rides.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      danimadss

danimadss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      I didn't even think of that! I will get some of those!! Thanks. And I will let you know!! I love roller coasters and I went all summer long last year. Haven't been this summer and not since my "T" started. So here's to hoping all goes well!

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Good luck! I hope they work well and you can enjoy the day.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The damage accumulates.
      I doubt you need to worry about that.

They advise against wearing earplugs during take-offs and landings of airplanes, though...

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Their NRR is something like 20 dB.

9. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      I went to an amusement park recently while wearing 32 db foam earplugs. I was completely fine but I kindly asked my friends to refrain from screaming too much, so many do that. I have had fullness in my ear since my acoustic trauma and the ear plugs were fine on the rollercoaster. Although, I didn't go on any upside down rollercoasters as I may have cochlear hydrops and I don't want to trigger a vertigo episode. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    10. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hey, what kind of concerts were these? Metal or Country? Outdoor, indoor?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      danimadss

danimadss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      Oh I'm glad to hear wearing the foam earplugs were fine while riding!! That was my main concern. Sorry about your vertigo! Thanks for the response

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      danimadss

danimadss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      Two of the concerts were outdoors and rock reggae. The third was indoors and a Sublime cover band and Bob Marley's band The Wailers. That was the loudest only because it was indoors. All I could hear was the bass!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      You'll be fine. You won't go very high, pressure change is not a concern but you can still equalize while wearing foam plugs if needed.

• Like Like x 1