Weekly Changing Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by James Foley, Apr 11, 2018.

?

Does your tinnitus change frequently?

1. Yes, it changes all the time (without a trigger)

2. Yes, it changes all the time (with a known trigger)

3. Yes, but it doesn't change that often (without a trigger)

4. Yes, but it doesn't change that often (with a known trigger)

5. No, it has stayed the same for a long time

6. Other (explained in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So for around 6 months now I've had my tinnitus change almost weekly, sometimes for the better, other times for the worse. The most recent being last Thursday where I woke up with a new tone in my right ear, and again last Saturday where I now have an increased static noise in my left ear. Neither of the times was I doing anything different, in fact I noticed the most recent one when I got back up from bending down to pick something up.

I'm basically past the point where it worries and frightens me, right now its just annoying and frustrating. I can't stop myself plugging my ears to check it, and when I check I get annoyed its still there, and when I'm annoyed I check...

It frustrates me because I can never remember myself this bad at all in the 3 years before I started experiencing these changes.

Is it common for tinnitus to frequently change on its own? My routine hasn't changed at all so I can't pin point a specific trigger, if any.

Does anyone here have/has had tinnitus that changes a lot without a trigger?

The only thing I can think of that potentially links my changes up are migraines, but I can't really find any evidence to support that migraines can cause these "spikes" or "changes". I know the brain is a fussy bugger and I'm wondering if its finding new sounds on its own and latching onto them, specifically during stressful events such as a migraine.

2. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My tinnitus changes for no obvious reason. It's rarely for the better. There are known triggers such as stress from work and sudden loud high pitched noises eg. Fire alarms, sirens, kids screaming. But mine will also worsen without these triggers. I suspect high sugar and chocolate may have an effect sometimes and possible other dietary factors.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do your changes hang around for long, or do they become your new sound until a new change happens?

4. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      I'm a new at this with close to 3 months in, but my T seems to be settling down and not changing as much over the weeks. Sort of a daily routine in that it's often a slight hiss in the morning and ramps up in the afternoon and evening. I don't have noise spikes, but I do get spikes that are related to stress and anxiety.

5. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      my tinnitus has worsened over time. I have occasional better days but noises come and stay and increase with time for me unfortunately. I have a few sounds the high pitched electrical sound being the most annoying.

6. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Mine tends to change a lot too. I have a lot of fleeting tinnitus, at least once a week on average. And sometimes random new sounds that come and go, like a soft rumbling noise in my right ear, a hiss in my left ear, that sometimes becomes a small ring, then its a recorder noise thats very soft, then suddenly it becomes all of it at once. A high pitched recorder noise, with some intermittent static. Massaging my shoulders seems to get rid of the rumbling and the intermittent static sometimes, but I never really seem to get it a 100% quiet :(

7. MartinH
      Angry

MartinH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows?
      Mine seems to be a little different everyday. I'm only one month into this but it will vary in intensity and pitch a few times a day. Sometimes I don't hear it unless I'm listening for it. It seems like when I bend over to pick something up and stand back up the tone will get a little weird for a few moments and then it goes back to "normal"