Weird Issue? TMJ, ETD, or Something Else? Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by kiel, Jun 5, 2018.

1. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      I'm having WEIRD issues over the past week or so. So, I had a bad Ear Infection that I'm just now getting over, but I still had a feeling of pressure in my right ear, so I decided to pop it, but something strange happened. I heard LOUD crackling and popping noises for hours, and after it subsided I was left with my current systems. Whenever I open and close my jaw now, I hear fairly loud cracking/popping noises on the right side. Additionally, I still feel pressure/pain there on and off and have had some slight swelling in and around the right side of my face as well as well. Also, I've had a strange feeling of "spasming" (almost like a muscle, and not the one in my Ear) in and around my right cheek area.

Not really sure what to make of this. Could this be TMJ, and if it is, could popping my ear have been enough to lead to this? Or, could it be some kind Eustachian Tube Dysfunction/ear problem? Should I be going to an ENT or a Dentist? Kinda freaked out at the moment, and not sure what my next move should be here.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @kiel The TM joint is connected to the front of the ear canal, so often an ear infection will radiate discomfort to the jaw and face area. Sometimes an ear infection is mistaken for a TMJ problem. Did an ENT or GP say that you have an ear infection?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      It was a doctor at an Urgicare. He said he saw a bit of fluid in there when he looked. I went to my own Doctor yesterday, who said I no longer have an infection tho.

4. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @kiel Then your other problems should be temporary, at least this is what I read in articles. Stay in touch.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Yeah, I will. But, can popping your ears lead to TMJ issues tho? That seems to be how all this started.

6. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @kiel No. Not unless your mouth was really wide open during ear popping. And with that you would need to first have a mandibular trigeminal problem which connects to the tympanic plexus which controls the middle ear.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    7. JLong
      Haunting

JLong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      TMJ is strange (I have it yay) you can have the popping symptoms and not have it be a problem for you. There’s a good chance the muscles around your ear are inflamed due to the infection/irritation and might need some calming down with a few an anti inflammatory meds.

TMJ is due to said joint deteriorating or being misaligned, shouldn’t be caused by ear issues.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Nah, my mouth was closed. Still feeling like there's something up with the Jaw tho.
      Gotcha, I'll try that.