What Anti-Anxiety Drugs Are Good for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dale1234, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Dale1234

Dale1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety insomnia
      Hey guys, so I have sleep maintenance insomnia and some anxiety, which ultimately led to tinnitus. I haven't yet conquered the insomnia/anxiety, but have come along way to understand it. I'm not reacting in particular to the tinnitus, except when it's louder (explained below).

Every medicine I have tried to date appears to heighten the perceived loudness of the tinnitus. My tinnitus is a 4 kHz constant tone. I have tried Amitriptyline, Mirtazapine (SNRI), Citalopram (SSRI), now I'm trying Abilify (1mg dose). Whilst some are effective for sleep and appear to reduce anxiety, all of these medicines the very next day appear to have increased the loudness of the tinnitus sound/perception.

I also tried Pregabalin, this didn't increase the loudness, but I'm so concerned with taking this due to the reports I read about this particular drug causing tinnitus...

Has anyone taken any anti-anxiety medication that didn't increase the tinnitus loudness? I appreciate many people react differently.

Thank you,
      Dale

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I was on Xanax for about 2 months, low dose, and it didn't hurt me. However, you should let others here chime in because I've read some pretty bad stuff about some of these medications. Pro tip: if someone tells you to just blindly follow the advice of your doctor disregard them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dale1234

Dale1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety insomnia
      I'm trying to ask which anti-anxiety / insomnia drugs are considered 'more safe' for tinnitus sufferers? (and which ones sure to avoid)

My doc didn't yet give me something like Xanax.

4. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Anti-anxiety drugs are bad because once stopped you get withdrawal which can last weeks or months.

• Agree Agree x 2