What are ''everyday sounds''?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JC1859, Nov 23, 2014.

1. JC1859

JC1859 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2008
      Can anybody elaborate, as I am so confused.

We're supposed to expose our ears to ''everyday sounds'' to help our ears recover from Hyperacusis, but what precisely is an ''everyday sound''? If I'm in the supermarket and there is music playing at a level that previously wouldn't have bothered me, is that ''everyday and environmental''? Is watching the television at the level I used to an ''everyday sound''? Or are we talking about a chirping bird or some guy shouting at the fruit market?

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. A VERY hard question to answer tbh. Here is a good thread that may help... http://www.chat-hyperacusis.net/post/need-advice-7069822

I have had H for a year. It has been a roller coaster and quite plainly hell on earth. I was doing fairly well, back to mild when for possible various reasons I am now severe.

Everyday sounds to you depend on your ldls. Have you been tested? Under 85 db will not damage your hearing, but can worsen your H. I suggest reading that thread and following your instincts.

A visit to a good audiologist who is well versed in TRT is your best hope.

3. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      A moving pallet truck in the grocery store is an all day sound, but I felt it through my whole body. No way you can't get use to that imo. It was horror.

Crows, I hate them now. These things won't hurt my ears, but they hurt my soul.

So not having money to pay for TRT is like being doomed? Health insurance companies won't pay for it in my country. I pay 115 euros a mont for health insurance. They will only pay when your hearing loss is 35 db. and only when you have T.

If I had enough money I def would take the plane (with earmuffs on) and visit Jastreboff's clinic.

H. sucks bad, but when you dont have the dough it even sucks more.

BTW they do give TRT in The netherlands, but no money.

I Can't live with this sh. It's one big shell shock.

4. Yes, I agree. It is awful. You could order the pink noise cd from H network and do at home pink noise therapy.

Since becoming much, much worse after being almost better, I am at a loss. I feel it's part of my other chronic conditions therefore I am not even sure Jastreboff would take me on as a patient. I plan on inquiring however.

5. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I read about setbacks, and also read it will come to back to baseline. I hope for you it will settle down.

• Friendly Friendly x 1

6. Man, me too!!! :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I also read about the pink noise cd, can you also use it on speakers?
      Do they also send a sort of manual/schedule how to use it, for how many hours a day etc.?

I heard compressing to mp3 is not a good thing. I have a tiny mp3 player but it won't play wav-files.
      I think of buying a mp3 player that can play wav. files.

http://www.mp3shop.nl/product/44962/creative-zen-4-gb.html

8. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      For me, my H seems to have settled down a bit and is now a bit more mild. Before high frequency sounds seem to not bother me as much as they once did before.

I am looking to finally get evaluated next week and will hopefully FINALLY (after 5 months) find out what my LDL's are.

I would say that when it comes to everyday noises, expose yourself to whatever sounds your comfortable. I try and always have some sort of audio playing at home, either soft music, or talk radio podcasts. Just anything that can keep feeding my ears when constant and safe audio.

If you are in a louder situation then it would be a good idea to protect your ears, and see if you can be evaluated and find out how sensitive your ears are (the Loudness Discomfort test)

I would say that just be carful in public places such as malls or parking lots. Thats where I got zapped early on and still try and use my bose ear muffs just to get through those places.

I know its hard, but if you can try and see if you can keep your stress under control. Yoga has really helped me as well.

9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      TRT with Dr.Jastreboff is only $2000 usd. They also have programs offering free trt prosthesis. I'm sure Dr.Jastreboff has connections.
      Maybe speak to Dr.Nagler and he can arrange an appointment.

10. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I live in the Netherlands so that's impossible for me to do.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JC1859

JC1859 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2008
      Thanks, guys.

Why would people use expensive TRT if they could buy a $20 pink noise cd?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JC1859

JC1859 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2008
      I haven't been tested, Lynn. I'm sort of just hoping this gets better with time. I have no desire to spend the rest of my life going for tests and posting in a Hyperacusis forum. I've done that with other things and don't have the energy for a new thing. If it got to that stage I honestly don't think I would see the point in life anymore. Life should be about enjoyment, not spending it waiting for bad situations to get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Convenience of wearable sound generators but most importantly with TRT you receive ( or should!) weekly counselling. .that is the most important aspect of TRT.

14. Chances are great that you won't be posting in an H forum in the distant future as most get better in time, using TRT or other methods. However H is complicated and more so by Jastreboff standards, misophonia and the like, so some help may be required to get better...

15. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Let's hope, pray. This is unbearable. Every day I wake up with severe anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 1