What Are the Best Earmuffs for Extended Periods?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Imshael, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely jaw and/or neck issues
      Hi guys!

Began my new job yesterday. Turns out it's way louder than what I expected, and before I do anything else I want to try a really good pair of earmuffs to see if I can endure the noise (I'm a bit sceptical, but quitting would feel as if I'm "betraying" the company. And oh my, I really need the money too). Today I used my Peltor x4a, but I'm exposed to the sound of an engine (think lawn mower) four about 7,5 hours a day, and I don't think that was enough protection.

So, what are the best earmuffs out there? Is there any that makes you hear absolutely nothing, or close to it? Because if there is, I want them.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      X5A are a little more comfortable. You can also increase the noise reduction by 5 dB and wear earplugs underneath the muffs.

If I were you, I would quit...

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      As a result of bone conduction, you can't get more noise reduction than about 35 dB (achieved by combining muffs with earplugs).

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely jaw and/or neck issues
      Hmm, figured as much. Doesn't really help that I'm right next to the engine either, both with the sound and the vibrations that it causes. Really don't feel like quitting though, so I want to atleast try.

5. Andrew01
      Sunshine

Andrew01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / Began 5 days after second Moderna shot
      Hi there,

What sort of earmuffs are you wearing? I find that I have some TTTS or facial pain problems in addition to the hyperacusis and find the clamping from typical earmuffs hurt.

I do like the ease of taking them off and on however compared to foam earplugs, and decibel wise I don’t need as much protection, just enough to take the edge of dishes etc.

Are there some ones that are super comfortable and soft, and you can adjust easy to reduce pressure? Even something like winter earmuffs with a bit more damping would be good I suppose.

Look forward to you suggestions.

Best,
      Andrew