What Can Cause Single Sided Hearing Loss + Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hazel, Nov 9, 2017.

1. CCsMom14
      Likeable

CCsMom14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - suspect SSHL
      @Hazel - keep us posted. Hoping we all have improvement soon!

2. Pcam1988

Pcam1988 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After I had a fever
      Yeah a think I better go and get mri just to be on the safe side. I’m currently trialling a hearing aid at the minute. I will let you no my outcomes after I finish my trial period. I find listening to white noise masks my tinnitus and helps me concentrate more.

3. Pcam1988

Pcam1988 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After I had a fever
      Any updates on your T guys? I feel like I’m coping slightly better than when I first got it. I can sleep without any masking now, I do wake up now and again but am able to go back down. The T is still here at the same constant pitch which is still highly irritating, trying to consume my mind with different thoughts. I’m still not sure if I’ve fully overcomemthe virus that I had. The headaches cleared up but I’m constantly tired throughout the day even with a solid 8 hours sleep. Going to the doctor when I return home from holiday in a few weeks. Maybe I’m suffering from a lack of vitamins?

4. CCsMom14
      Likeable

CCsMom14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - suspect SSHL
      Hi - I am still with the single side - ROAR and high pitch in my left ear - about 7 weeks in. I do notice that sometimes the pitch will change and my ENT says that is a sign the nerve is healing. I fully expect to be like this for at least 3-4 months. I ended up contracting another cold over Thanksgiving - I believe my resistance was down due to just coming off the steroids -

I can sleep - although I find the nights with melatonin are making it a bit easier -

I opted to NOT do the MRI - since I was not dizzy, not nauseous nor had any other symptoms of an AN - I go back to the ENT if I choose on December 14.

Ironically, I find the pitch higher and more intense if I put in ear plugs. This T is a odd fellow.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Having one sided T could be as easy as having built up ear wax in one ear. I´m positive thats what happened to me following a trauma using headphones. My first visit to an ENT, bc of my T, he removed a fat piece of wax from my left ear, but my right ear was clean as a whistle. This kind of reflects in my audiogram too with much steeper declining graphs at 10-12000 Hz in my right ear.

Then again I really can not decide if my HL or tight neck muscles is the real culprit of my T. Both benzo, baclofen and atenolol totally quiets my T the day after administration. Could be gabaeric affect.? Could be the muscle relaxant properties?
      How atenolol fits in to any of this I surly don´t know, but it works every time, but never two days in a row. I have to wait a week to recreate this effect when it comes to this drug.

So, I agree. T being an odd fellow, is an understatement.

But I also have severe hyperacusis, and I can´t grasp how this can be caused by tight neck muscles. So I guess it must be the HL then???