What Causes the "Full" Ear Sensation from Sound?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AnotherProblem, Jun 30, 2018.

1. AnotherProblem

AnotherProblem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Monday, June 18th, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does anybody know what mechanism this is?

When enough of the sounds that bother my ear are going on for long enough, my ear starts to feel like I'm on an airplane and they're clogged. Except instead of pressure causing it, it's noise (but normal, everyday noise like my car engine when I'm driving, or my air conditioning, or my shower). And instead of clearing every now and then when I swallow or yawn, they stay full...until I get away from the sound for a while.

I have had this once before at a REALLY loud concert as well, I think, to where the music was so loud I could physically feel fullness in my ears.

Is it a matter of some mechanism being activated because of the hyperacusis making my ears THINK things are way too loud? Or is it just the way my ears/brain are processing sound now?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hey! Have you had this happen to you randomly? And does it ever get so full that it makes your hearing muffled? I also notice you have bouts of dizziness, on the same boat.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Lionel

Lionel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As my hyperacusis improves my susceptibility to ear fullness decreases but once there is loud bang or noise I get fullness for a few hours maybe days..... I presume it’s something to do with the Eustachian tubes being inflamed ?
      I also get dizziness and headaches on the right side of my head.... I think it’s to do with my sinuses. Random thing happened last night, took a decongestant before sleep and my tinnitus decreased, has anyone else experienced this ?

4. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      If I had to guess, I'd say it's muscular: I think the tiny muscles in our ears may tense up to protect ourselves, thereby tightening the ear canal to reduce sound exposure. Our muscles, obviously, are on high alert - so any time a loud noise occurs they spasm up.

Just a guess; but a slightly educated one.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Agreed, brain and muscles going haywire in a loop.

One exception, is when the stapes are mobile. A pioneering doctor and ontological genius, in my mind, created a surgery, or pioneered a surgery for round window reinforcement and stapes reinforcement. 80 percent success rate and the numbers seem to keep getting better. Hyperacusis is a cruel beast. Dr. Silverstein, taught at Harvard and is the real deal, he has also invented other pioneering surgical techniques for the ear. Super humble and cool dude... sadly he’s getting pretty old now, I hope he’s trained up his protégés well, I assume he has.

• Good Question Good Question x 1