What Does It Mean When Certain Sounds Either Spike or Stop Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, Mar 11, 2019.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I think this might happen to some people - so, either it's good or bad - but, as long as it's not really bad, nothing to consider?

I went to visit my Dad at a long-term care home and in the elevator, I often wear ear plugs - well, when I enter I do. I'm not sure if it's overprotection but, but most of the time I wear them. But, not always. The main sounds are from the beeps from the elevator, the doors closing and people talking. It's not a hospital so you would think it's not that noisy. At the time, the buzzing was bad - the usual high frequency, loud (to me) buzzing - it's been this way for several days. But, today, it was going haywire for almost the entire day. But, I wanted to visit.

This time, I went in and took the plugs off. I went in the elevator - the beeps don't bother me and so far, it's never spiked but I am really worried about a random noise either causing a spike or making things worse. But, at the same time, I'm concerned whether I'm overprotecting, also. Anyway, I go in and the beeps go on as usual. No issue until I get up to the floor and when the elevator is opening, there is a squeak/screech and it's a bit loud so I panic. I am thinking, 'oh no, not again.' I get on the floor and walk through to the entrance of the floor and suddenly, the buzzing stopped....I think it stopped the moment, I went through the elevator on the floor. I can even hear people more (better?) and I had a silly/stupid thought, what if this 'cured' it. But, soon enough, the buzzing returned once I got to his room.

Is this typical? Certain sounds might spike or even stop the buzzing? It was really quiet and I thought I could even hear better but I think it's just because the buzzing momentarily stopped. I don't know how quiet it was as it wasn't completely quiet on the floor - it's 3 in the afternoon or thereabouts. But, I couldn't hear the buzzing at all. I wish it went away for good. :(

I thought it was strange that I was upset at first, anxious, but instead of a spike or it continuing buzzing, it stopped. Is that due to the frequency of the sound (the elevator made) or what?

Isn't it weird (to me) that we look at random incidents for anything - things improving, worsening, changing etc. etc. - this condition is so debilitating so what others think are just random events they don't even take a second look or consideration at, are big deals for us - at least, for some period of time and then maybe even ongoing.

2. R. David Case

R. David Case Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes you are right, certain sounds can knock out tinnitus, I invented a similar sound mix (7 kinds of interference ) and give it away free because it knocked out my tinnitus and 441 other people's tinnitus. It is similar to the screeching sound you described, you play it all night every night on Koss KTX-PRO1 headphones for 3 weeks. You can download it for free at https://tinnitusmix.com -- 4 out of 5 are reporting reduced or eliminated tinnitus.
      Screenshot_2019-03-13 I Invented a Sound That Knocked Out My Tinnitus(1).png

3. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      So does this work for only noise induced Tinnitus? My Tinnitus came suddenly for no apparent reason along with total hearing loss in right ear. Wondering if this is worth try.

4. R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes I do believe it will work on your condition. Most of the testimony letters were from people that were UN-diagnosed. But we are finding it works on several types of tinnitus.

amy borders t gone.png

5. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      BTW, I have a very pricey set of Sony NC headphones. You think I should still get the Koss? There not much money, but thought I'd ask your opinion. thnx... -J

6. R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      We have tested many and the Koss are the best, you can try the Sony while you wait on the Koss. That is what I would do.

ringing stops.png

7. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So, a little more info, if you will. Somehow I need to be able to play the recording over and over (hope I can figure out that), and then how should I set the volume? Should it be set at about the same loudness as my Tinnitus? Thanks for any reply. -J

8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @PeteJ so very good of you to care about seeing your Dad in the long term care home. I know this is difficult to do. Mostly seeing people there suffering.

You are so very new to this condition Pete so your questions are certainly important. It starts to become find what works for you situation regarding ear protection. You don't want to always over protect with ear plugs but do this as you find yourself in different situations.

It is great that you experienced some relief! But normal to be nervous about it.

I think you are handling this very well for now.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I think you didn't read my latest posts.

I am at a loss of what to do. No one near me understands what I am going through and my Dad's health is in decline.

10. R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes it must be put on loop so it plays all night, start with volume at about 20% after a day or so move to 30%.

brian cures 6 year old.png