What Happens to Brain Neurotransmission While Sleeping? Tinnitus Is Usually Louder After Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Aug 30, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I really think a large portion of the loudness of my tinnitus (not all of it however) is based on Glutamate and GABA neurotransmission.

The reason I believe this is because of medication I have taken that affects Glutamate or GABA can have an effect on my tinnitus (though not all the time and I am not sure why).

Does anyone know if these neurons or chemicals in the brain change during sleep? Tinnitus seems to be louder after waking up.

At first I thought maybe it was me grinding my teeth or the maybe some kind of blood circulation issue but it can't be because I took a very short nap the other day while sitting up and my Tinnitus was louder (more static). I know I did not grind my teeth.

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Out of curiosity, what is the soundscape like in the room you sleep in? I've noticed that I get a lot less morning spikes since I stopped sleeping with a fan/other noise, and started sleeping with earplugs a lot of the time...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I used to have to have a fan on but now that I have been taking a medication that helps me on average (at least so far) deal with tinnitus better it can be rather quiet other than when the central air conditioner is running.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      This is something new for me after one year of noise induced tinnitus.

I'll have a day of 2-3/10 tinnitus, go to sleep happy with a sound generator on (lower than tinnitus) and then around 4 am wake up with huge high pitch buzzing spike which usually lasts all day. Nothing to eat after 6 pm, no alcohol, caffeine, chocolate etc...

What's happening while I sleep? It used to be the opposite, I could always depend on a quiet morning after a good sleep.

Anyone have suggestions please.

Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I find if I have more than 6 hours sleep, it's a bit quieter after I wake up - for an hour approximately. Then it gets louder again for the rest of the day.

However, if I don't sleep before 1 or my sleep is particularly poor quality and less than 7 hours, the less it is, the more likely my tinnitus is really loud.

I am not sure why tinnitus would be louder after waking up. How much sleep are you getting?

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      I try to get 8 hours but usually get up at least 4-5 times to pee but often fall right back to sleep. I take 5mg Ambien and 5mg Melatonin.

7. Bruce Powlson

Bruce Powlson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise & hearing loss
      I have had tinnitus for about 5 months coming from too much exposure to loud noise and hearing loss. The volume often goes down during the day and at times to zero in one ear. I take Restoril (Temazepam) to sleep but often wake up very early in the morning with the volume of my tinnitus much much higher. Last night my tinnitus was very low when I went to bed so I tried to sleep without the Restoril. I started to dose off within a1 1/2 hours but the ringing again increased dramatically so I gave up and took the sleeping pill. Even pink noise doesn't help much.

Why does going to sleep always dramatically increase the volume of my tinnitus?