What Medications Are Bad for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JodieStephens, Sep 1, 2017.

1. JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried looking through the forums... What medications are bad for tinnitus? What would happen if you overdose?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @JodieStephens If something is NOT on that list, you can be sure that it is safe. If something Is on the list it does not necessarily mean that there is a very high chance that you will get T if you take that drug.

You can substitute the name of the drug you are interested in instead of XXX below to get some interesting statistics
      http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/XXX/tinnitus/

For example, check out
      http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/prednisone/tinnitus/

Some of the drugs listed in that ototoxic brochure seem to cause T only for a very small fraction of people. Of course keep in mind that what you get at ehealthme.com is the fraction of the people who reported side effects who reported T as a side effect. The fraction of everyone who took the drug who got T is even smaller. The fraction who got T for life is even lower...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you... Hopefully I can find the right combination of medications that will help me cope with lack of sleep from T

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Amitriptyline helped me sleep back when my T was very loud. It is non-addictive and when I took 7-8 mg of it, I didn't feel drowsy the next day. I believe it appears on the list of ototoxic medications. However, that other link proves that it is reasonably safe. Also, in large doses it has been used to Treat tinnitus.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      ill mention it to my doctor, currently I'm already on bupropion and resperidone

7. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      The truth of the matter is that very few medications are truly otototoxic - that it, will cause permanent physical auditory damage. However many medications can cause a "spike" that will often settle after discontinuation of the medication. Tinnitus and Sudden hearing loss is so common it's also often difficult to pin point the exact cause as well.

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would recommend caution with large dosages of amitriptyline. Tricyclics have a narrow therapeutic index.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree. I am sorry that it sounded like I was advising one to use amitriptyline to try to cure T. I just meant to convey that even though it appears on those ototoxic lists, there is a good chance that one can use it safely to help one sleep.