What now?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jake, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      It's been about 3.5 months since I developed tinnitus, which I guess is technically in the "sub-acute" phase (I think?). I have been taking magnesium supplements as well as fish oil and a daily multivitamin which have definitely helped me out. While I have been doing much better than I was at my onset, I was just wondering what should I do now? From what I've read, my case is somewhat "new" and I want to know if there are any therapies/additional supplements that could promote further improvement for me at this point in the game. Thanks!

2. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

Niacin B3, B6, B12, Magnesium, Vit E, Ginko and an infinite list of other stuff is used in supplements for T. You can do it all.

But at the end of the day you can't know if anything really helped, or you got better just on your own.

I wouldn't spend too much money, there is no known effective treatment or cure.

Keep busy & enjoy life is the best therapy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      I tried magnesium, B-multivitamins, burdock root, betaserc, zinc, reflexology, hypnotherapy, HBOT, DIY TRT, Mindfullness Based Stress Reduction and probably some other stuff that I can't remember. Cannot say if they helped. Next thing on my list might be to stop hanging on tinnitus sites and toughing it out. Maybe an occasional benzo when it gets too much. All the best.

4. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I tried it all but with no success. It won't hurt to try Ginkgo, zinc, etc. it just did not work for me.
      I now take only REMERON an antidepressant..I used benzos but would recommend only small dosages of these. I had a very hard time coming off these after taking for about 4 years.

5. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Niacin and protect your ears from loud noises !

6. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi Jake,
      What you are doing sounds similar to me. I take a Vit B complex (Ive read that Vit B12 is good for tinnitus) - and this also helps with stress levels. Also take magnesium and Kava.
      The Kava isnt for the T, its for stress.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      @Amelia I completely forgot about Kava. My friends and I used to take it recreationally haha. It didn't seem to do all that much but it definitely mellowed me out. I'll have to check that out again.

8. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      you make me sound like a addict @Jake ;) lol, I do take it from my naturopath so at least its controlled ;)

But it has really helped me. I'm a very anxious person by nature and I'm finding myself not stressing about things I usually would. Although I still find im able to stress about the T :/

9. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I'm in quite a similar situation, although for me its a bit more than 2 months since my tinnitus aggravated. I have a doctor's appointment next week and I am still thinking if there is any medication I should try out and discuss with the doctor. I sometimes tried HBO, but it didn't do anything for me.

Other than medication I would try sound therapy or TRT. One ENT doctor told me that listening to at least 2 hours a day of pleasant/calming sounds at a level a bit lower than the tinnitus sound should help the brain to adjust to the T sound. It won't help immediately, it supposed to take 6-12 months to help. I now usually listen to nature sounds through my headphones why working on the computer.

10. Luke

Luke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
    11. Carol
      Fine

Carol Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      I've been trying some supplements but they've not really helped. I am eating mega-healthily though as it's part of trying to stay positive. I can't control the T but I can control what goes into my body and how fit I am. It's good to be in control of some aspect of your life when you can't control the T.