What Tests to Ask for in Order to See If My Tinnitus Has a Definite Cause?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Binyamin, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Binyamin

Binyamin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blow to the ear
      Hello, I have tinnitus for a while now. Both the sound itself and the volume are not consistent and there are times in which I can't hear it.

It is noise triggered and is usually worse when there is noise around.

I have been to a few ENTs and all they gave me was a hearing test.

I wanted to know what tests I should ask for in order to see if my tinnitus has a definite cause.

Can people say why their ENT sent them to except for hearing tests?

2. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Is your T in one ear only? Is there any explanation like loud noises, certain meds... or something? If your T is in one ear for no apparent reason, then I suppose MRI could help to close the tiny possibility of acoustic neuroma. Then again if your T is very silent and comes & goes, then there is prolly no reason to be found by testing. That in mind, MRIs are very loud and can in some cases risk T getting worse, so I wouldn't get one unless your doctor agrees. If you have MRI, get max. protection earplugs with you.

3. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      MRI, but ask for different sequences. Obviously for the brain, but also for cervical spine, soft tissue of neck, TMJ, MRA of blood vessels. They should be able to do this in one sitting (it may take up to an hour though), but it's better than multiple visits.

https://mrimaster.com/index.5.html (check the left side for the list of different areas to be scanned).