What to Expect at Appointment

Discussion in 'Support' started by SueR, Dec 10, 2013.

1. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      What should I expect at my appt on Tuesday?

I've been to an ENT for a hearing test. Pardon me for not knowing the jargon, but part of the test, I had over-the-ear headphones on, and beeps... raise your hand if you hear. There was also a test where they put something on skull behind the ear and I heard tones there too. There was one I felt but did not hear. I felt the vibration, but no tone. Part of the test was words spoken into my ear thru the headphones. It was stressful, but I "passed". I could have told the ENT that I would be able to hear the tones and words. Still was nearly intolerable.

No tympanogram was performed. (I know that word because my son has had numerous.) I was a little surprised that such an easy test wasn't performed. I asked ENT if pressure could be a factor and he said, emphatically, "absolutely NOT."

So, what kind of tests will be performed on Tuesday? Will I be leaving with a colossal headache??

2. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Whatever test will be performed, you'll not leave with a colossal headache! Just wear ear plugs if you're going for a MRI, it can be noisy...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I got a headache from the hearing test... so I'm hesitant!

4. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Sue, it seems that the stress was the cause of your headache. What about to take a light drug before it? In any case, ask the doctor what are you going through, and what side-effects you can expect.

• Like Like x 1
    5. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Are you going for a loudness discomfort test? That's usually what they do to see if you have hyperacusis.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I have no idea. I called, told the receptionist I would like to be evaluated for hyperacusis and she scheduled the appt. She asked if I have had a recent hearing test and to bring with me, or have them faxed, so we don't repeat the test.