What Would You Do? What Steps Would You Take to Protect Yourself from Worsening Symptoms?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ilovemusic, Mar 17, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. ilovemusic

ilovemusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music @ club

I don't have *persistent* tinnitus symptoms, but suspect I permanently damaged my hearing recently. I love music and have been up to this point in my life a frequent concert-goer. Given this background, what steps would you take to protect yourself from developing more severe symptoms / hearing problems? I don't want to overreact to a problem that's not that severe yet, but at the same time want to be doing enough to prevent it from developing into something more serious.

About a month ago I was at a loud club, and after walking out felt a ringing & muffled feeling in my ears, which persisted throughout the following day. Despite having been to many loud concerts in my life, that severity of ringing in my ears was a first for me (and also the friend who I went with). Fortunately, since then, my ears have largely felt normal. I purchased some very discreet musician's earplugs (Earasers), which I wore to a concert two weeks ago, with good results.

However, 2 nights ago I felt a feeling of stuffiness in my left ear, that was accompanied by a scrunchy, white-noise-like sound whenever I moved my jaw a certain way. I assumed it was just a matter of earwax and so went got my ears cleaned out by an ENT the following afternoon. (The sound/feeling was no longer present when I woke up that morning but I got my ears cleaned anyway since I had made the appointment.) Unfortunately, later on that very night the same sound & feeling of stuffiness came back in my left ear, only instead of being activated by moving my jaw, it seemed to pulse with my heartbeat. I noticed I could stop the sound by clenching my jaws.

As I type this now, the morning after, the feeling/sound is thankfully gone again. I hope it stays that way, but regardless of whether it becomes a persistent issue (fingers crossed it doesn't), I'm now worried about my hearing.

What should I be doing going forward? I imagine after "the incident," my ears are now more vulnerable / susceptible to damage than they used to be. No matter what, I plan to continue wearing my Earasers earplugs whenever I go to a concert or club going forward. But should I be doing more? Do I need more serious / higher NRR earplugs (my Earasers have a -23dB advertised rating, but officially only have a -5 NRR)? Should I be limiting my concertgoing to infrequent, special occasions as opposed to bi-weekly?

I see people on these threads whose experience with tinnitus have led them to completely & with little hesitation swear off loud concerts (some of whom appear to be musicians & music lovers like myself). While I imagine I have less severe symptoms than they do, their willingness to make this tradeoff is informative to me, and I really want to make sure I'm taking the preventative steps I should be so I don't worsen my situation.

Thanks all in advance.