When I Open My Mouth or Smile, My Eardrum Vibrates and Feel Some Pain — Is It a TMJ Issue?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GastonFla, Jul 29, 2019.

1. GastonFla
      Musical

GastonFla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock (Headphones)
      I feel that my eardrum vibrates, when I open my mouth a lot or when I smile. It is almost imperceptible unless I have the earplugs on.

Does this have to do with a TMJ issue? I also feel pain, so I think there may be some jaw problem.
      I also thought it could be due to a small lesion in the eardrum, although all the doctors I went told me that my ear was ok.

I don't know how accurate are the tools they have to determine if the eardrum is healthy...

Thanks!

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I believe that facial nerves can get irritated or even paralyzed after nerves in the ear are damaged.

This is documented in cases of auditory neuroma (audiotory nerve tumors)
      https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acoustic-neuroma/symptoms-causes/syc-20356127
      Facial numbness and very rarely, weakness or loss of muscle movement

It is no coincidence if someone experiences jaw aches/numbness that mimics TMJ after being exposed to very loud noise.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Aklara319

Aklara319 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Bumping this--I have the exact same issue. Never had TMD or jaw pain before. Then an ear infection on plane led to flutters. A few weeks later, I went to a nightclub and walked out with tinnitus, worse spasms, and the next day developed classic TMD symptoms. Jaw/ear muscles hurt when I talk, smile or chew, I get some fluttering, and have a low frequency drone on top of high frequency tinnitus.

Had a TMJ MRI and CT (both normal) and wore a nightguard for 6 months. Had no effect. I no longer have burning facial nerve pain, which is nice. Just muscle aches from talking, laughing, smiling etc.