When to accept its permanent?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by MattK, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Dr Nagler,

I've noticed that you've said to a few people that there is a chance their tinnitus may still go away. Sometimes (at the time of your saying this) the people may have had tinnitus for a few days or sometimes even a few months. But at what point should a person lose hope that it will go away and just face the fact that it's here to stay?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Matt, let me just start by saying that my own tinnitus has not gone away. In fact it has not changed in the twenty years that I have had it. It's still the same roaring turbine & screaming teakettle sound that pretty-much incapacitated me for the better part of a year. But here's the thing: My life is far better now than it was in my pre-tinnitus days. And it was pretty darned good to start. So while one can certainly hope that his or her tinnitus goes away someday, that is not the be all and end all.

There are really no good studies addressing the specific issue you raise. Most clinicians feel that after a year or so it is less likely that tinnitus will spontaneously resolve. And similarly, it is more likely within the first couple of months. But it's all really just an educated guess based on anecdotal reports. That said, I am aware of some cases where spontaneous resolution has occurred even after ten years. So never say never.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 8