Where to Get an Inexpensive Audiogram?

Discussion in 'Support' started by george98034, Apr 8, 2021.

1. george98034

george98034 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna COVID vaccine
      Virginia Mason in Seattle charged me $419 for my audiogram and Premera didn't negotiate a better rate so I have to pay 100% as deductible. I think that's very high. I paid for another one after a round of successful Prednisone. I'm doing HBOT now and want to get tested at least once or twice more and don't want to shell out $419 again so where can I go to get a high quality audiogram without breaking the bank?

I've been playing with several iPhone / AirPods Pro apps - Mimi Hearing, MD Health, Easy Hearing Test. I found the closest to the official audiogram was using MD Health with AirPods Pros in noise cancellation mode. The test is quick and lets you adjust the levels up/down rather than waiting to hear some tone. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't link directly to Apple Health. For that I use Mimi Hearing. Using those tests I accurately predicted my second audiogram. I'm hoping to find something closer to $100 - maybe Costco - to help verify any progress and determine if I'm going to do a second round of 10 HBOT at about $1800.

I know the audiograms I've done in person and on my iPhone only go up to 8 kHz. My hearing loss is at 6 kHz and my tinnitus seems to be at 13 kHz. Is a higher frequency hearing test something I can get without breaking the bank?

Also is there some way to quantify tinnitus? I've seen some hearing reports with some #'s for tinnitus - how are those computed?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Sara May

Sara May Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/3/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @george98034, thank you for your posts.

You've mentioned the MD health iOS app in your posts. Could you tell me the exact name of the app to search for in the iPhone app store? For some reason I can't find it.

Thank you very much.