While Off the Grid in a Game Preserve, I Was Tinnitus Free

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gene Westling, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Gene Westling

Gene Westling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good question
      Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I've had tinnitus for a long time, not even sure at this point how long.

But I remember one incident and know its date. I was visiting our son in South Africa. He was doing a study abroad program so my wife and I flew down to spend some time with him and travel the country. I remember this even like it was yesterday, and it happened in March, 2010. So I've had tinnitus since at least then, probably years before that.

Anyway, we went on a safari into a remote northeastern part of the country, near Botswana. We were way out in the middle of nowhere, totally off the grid in this fantastic game preserve. And something was missing: tinnitus. I didn't have it the entire time we were there. I'll never forget seeing lions, elephants and all the wildlife. But even more memorable, I had a few short days where I didn't have any tinnitus whatsoever. None. When we got back to civilization, it came back. But it got me thinking, what was different about that remote wildlife preserve? Well, for one thing there was no electricity, no cell phone connections, no electromagnetic waves, no radio, TV, nothing. I'm not a conspiracy-minded person, but I've often thought about that experience and wonder whether living here in NYC has not only caused my tinnitus, but also made it progressively worse over time. Any thoughts?

Gene

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/adrenalin + forgetting to breathe enough when online
      Welcome here, yes electronics eh - that is an interesting read... yes we have to live with electronics - but with me personally I have to watch brightness and overusage or tinnitus goes up for the day - I have to say to myself get Ed through to tea time in decent shape, then we can coast home to bed time...

I try and remember to compliment myself on getting to tea time in decent shape - 'gratitude' is so important with the quality of our energy 'vibes' for improved health as is nature - going on the bike right now, have a good day all...

3. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      Not that I have an answer for you, but whether electromagnetic waves may play a role in certain kinds of tinnitus noises is something I've been wondering about myself a time or ten...

4. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      I have wondered about electronic noise and computer screen exposure as well.

Hmmmmm.

5. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most of us have to use computers, its part of life here — it about being sensible with brightness eyes will adjust — and not stressing over long messages/conversations online — and not having devices on charge with a battery enclosed and using them at the same time as charging.

6. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      Why is using a device while charging an issue?

Also, I recommend to pretty much everyone to install f.lux on their computer. It tints your screen towards more orange light. Definitely way easier on the eyes.

7. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When my tinnitus and hyperacusis was at its worst several years ago, hyperacusis sorted now - I researched and bought a radiation tester and followed what others had been saying - and as follows, when say a mobile was on charge, and I put the radiation monitor right by it, the same as putting your ear to the phone - the monitor went off the dial, full whack, and red light flashing - pull the tester away a couple of inches or off charge the monitor/tester went quiet...

So bad energy glows for about 2 cm IMO then goes back in, like it is glowing bad energy when on charge - and not worth the risk doing this, not good practice, let it charge on its own, use later or unplug it...

8. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Finasteride
      Interesting man.

You said your hyperacusis is sorted? How long did it take? I really hope I can get back to recording music vocals at medium volume, it's my dream/career :/

I got mild hyperacusis from Finasteride, and a dental cleaning spiked it. I was unable to withstand any sounds for 2 weeks, and I got better. Now I am back to square 1, but I didn't expose myself to sounds much.

9. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When my hyperacusis was at its worst and with it depression etc in 2015 - I went into my small conservatory late one afternoon, and I turned the music up on the 2 small speakers, quite loud for me - but I'd never damaged my sound system ears etc...

So I listened to this up volume music, electronic guitars I couldn't stand them - and I remember saying to my mind/ ears - as in the self talking, that's what we are 'the self' as in behave yourself / look after yourself - and I said out of annoyance with all that was happening to me 'plugged up' daily and sometimes headphones, to keep all annoying sounds out - I said get a load of that ears, nice sounds eh.

About 15 minutes I reckon - 15 minutes for me to get on the road to recovery... Things sounded different - I said to my wife, just after, I think something's reset... and it had, everything sounded calmer - so after that I learned to retrain my sound system - nice sound Ed well done, we find another tomorrow that was troublesome.

That complimenting yourself is so important for self-healing and increasing personal vibes, 'energy vibrations' ,that we are made of 100%... Mine were small speakers with low base, so it's free will if anyone wants to try this, your choice, not mine, but it worked for me - 99% clear of it now at nearly 70 years of age.

I just have to say here, when I did this I got quite close to the speakers, I moved them so they were near to me - but no throbbing base, but still annoying up volume quite a bit as we with hyperacusis are aware of - maybe try them low at first see how it goes... of course any ear damage, get that checked first.

I did 4 years now since, research into the power of the mind / self-healing - and there's so much we can fix for ourselves - we just have to remember to be kind to ourselves, to increase vibes... Same with tinnitus, I have that, and some days its up a notch - kindness to Ed is what's needed - less brightness and screen time - remember to breathe when online - and time in nature, not thinking of emails or work, just being in the moment, to appreciate - walk and breathe...