Whistling Next to Ear Resulted in New Reactive Tinnitus, Distortion and Ear Pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vicki14, May 25, 2021.

1. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi everyone,

Firstly, I’m sorry they you too are here and truly hope that you’re coping okay. I’ve had tinnitus and hyperacusis for 5.5 years now and have had 2 horrible noise traumas in the past 7 months. The most recent being 8 weeks ago whereby my husband (accidentally) whistled right next to my ear which resulted in a new high pitched tone, noise distortion and ear pain and increased anxiety.

My heart sinks every morning I wake and hear this new tone introduce itself and as the day progresses the reactive tinnitus heightens, like being in some kind of wind tunnel. Distortion comedy from the kettle, shower, appliances etc. I suppose I just feel despondent at being back at this point again after having worked so hard to accept a botched micro suction procedure which triggered it all.

Do new tones tend to signify hearing loss of some sort and has anyone had any experience of reactive tinnitus settling down?

Thank you for reading my post and sending you all much love and hope for healing! xxx

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this? Thanks x

3. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (punk rock show)
      Okay, so at first about distortions - I had pretty bad distortions for 2 months (after sleeping with open window during thunderstorm, lol). Then it started to settle, now almost a year passed and I rarely notice them. So yeah, for me it improved a lot actually.

Reactive tinnitus is harder to settle but spikes are taking less time to disappear after some time. Again, that's only my experience but I still have spikes from the same things like at the beginning (like showering, frying food, wind) but they last few minutes. In the past they could last hours or even days.

I am sometimes getting weird high pitched tone for few days, but only in the ear where I have TTTS. I feel like it can be correlated but difficult to tell how it is in your case.

As you can see, all these things can settle when you give them time :) So stay postive, fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 1