Who Has Normal Hearing Tests and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by martin12, Dec 16, 2014.

1. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      Curious if anyone has normal hearing tests from 250htz all the way to 8000 and still stuck with TInnitus?

Normal hearing is defined as no more than 20 DB hearing loss under normal threshold levels.

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @Rhea

3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      count me in :)

4. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      My ent only saw a slight dip of 20 db 4khz but have differents sound. It goes up and down.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      I do, on average -7dB in both ears over the entire frequency range. I can hear up to 18 kHz (above about 16 kHz in need to bump up to volume)

6. Katkin

Katkin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      I have had two normal hearing tests up to 8 kHz and a normal bone conduction test too. I have multiple toned tinnitus, some tones of which I think are of a higher frequency than 8 kHz, plus I get the hissing, buzzing sounds, especially noticeable at night.

7. Katkin

Katkin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      On the other hand, I have a friend who has hearing loss. She is 51 and has been told that the damage she has to her ears is usually only seen in people aged 60 and over. She struggles to hear properly in certain situations, i.e. in a noisy room, or if she is facing away from you. Does she have tinnitus? No - I asked her and she knows what it is, but says she has never experienced it. She doesn't know what caused her hearing loss, but admits to having attended a few loud concerts in the past. She was given hearing aids, but found them uncomfortable and is looking into getting the newer tiny ones. She does appear to have quite a calm, relaxed personality, and takes things in her stride, so whether this has anything to do with the fact she hasn't developed tinnitus, I don't know.

8. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      My ENT told me I had 105% audition... I hear even the slightest noise!!

• Like Like x 1
    9. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Doesnt it depend on age? Favourite saying of ent's is ''normal for your age''.
      So where does -20db come into it? For which age group generally?
      Perhaps @Dr. Charlie can be most informative on this question. Please can you answer this please @Dr. Charlie and also how does stress and anxiousness affect the hearing please/
      thanks @Dr. Charlie...

10. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does loud tinnitus affect hearing test results? I have high pitch tinnitus so wondering if I will hear the higher pitch tones. Thanks.

11. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Close enough.

12. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Yes.

With benzos (that reduce volume of tinnitus) it's much easier to hear them. You should do audiogram when your tinnitus is at lowest point.

I also had a very understanding audiologist and she triple checked every tone.

And to answer original question my audiogram shows 0-5-10 dB loss up to 20000 Hz. Essentially perfect audiogram.

But you have to remember that audiogram doesn't show hidden hearing loss.
      So you might have perfect audiogram, But hearing loss anyway that causes tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      I did until last October when I took azithromycin and it lowered my upper range hearing. Prior to that I had noise induced tinnitus but "n