Whooping cough and tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Danny Boy, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yes, I have bad tinnitus and whopping cough...Really worried though as I can't breathe properly at all...Also, the doctors will probably prescribe antibiotics which I don't really want to take as scared it can make tinnitus worse. So what do I do?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. My ex had it a mth ago (diagnosed) and I think* I have it now....though apparently I had my booster at the ER two years ago... It has made my T much worse. It's awful, the worst cough I've ever experienced. Like you, I can't breathe and vomit( sorry tmi) and can't eat or drink without going into an attack and feels like im choking. Also kills my.tmjd...

My ex was prescribed a mycin drug. I am holding out..I think I may be getting a but better on my own..if it isn't whooping, this is just as bad.

I have had THE WORST luck in health this year...I feel cursed.

Good luck and all the best...ask doc for alternative

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I understand the hesitation towards antibiotic drugs and the fear of making your tinnitus worse, but you should go have yourself looked at as soon as possible to get a definite diagnosis.

Are you 100% it's whooping cough, or is it a general respiratory infection? I've used amoxicillin (& clavulanic acid) three or four times since getting tinnitus to treat varying infections and I've never had problems with it. Amoxicillin, as far as I know, is very safe when it comes to ototoxicity so if the doctor thinks you can treat your condition with it then I wouldn't hesitate.

Of course it depends on your diagnosis, either way I would head to the doctors as soon as possible and see what's up. Explain your concerns regarding ototoxic medications and hopefully you guys can work out a suitable strategy to battle your current illness. Definitely don't wait if you're struggling to breath.

4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      My sis had it 2 weeks ago along with the flu...She had a 102 fever so she went to the doc and They gave her z pack zithromycin with a flu med.. I asked her if she had any side effects and she said it worked almost immediately and she was feelin better in 2 days.. Then again she dont have T but i know for the whooping cough her doc said that z pack is the best for it...

5. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      What I believe is a big factor to viruses spreading as they do today is Air Conditioning in public areas ,shops I'm talking about the biggest culprit ,years ago in UK shops never had it ,same as in a chemist shop,even my local chemist has said Air conditioners a big problem .Is this why strains of any viruses are not clearing up like they use to .I avoid shops if possible ,to how I think to air con ,circulated air can't be good ,but that's my thinking .
      Is this why antibiotics no longer seem to work lot of the time .just seeing the post relating to whooping cough ,maybe we need to just go back to opening up a few windows .
      Wishing everyone poorly and those with family members sick a speedy recovery .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Tell me about it...I can't breath barely and the coughing is random, like at night I'll cough for like hours...At the moment, I have barely any cough, but can't breathe. I went to the doctor and she prescribed me erythromycin which can cause hearing loss and tinnitus. I just want to breathe.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Did you inform doc of your T? usually they can substitute antibiotics. They did for me at hospital for my surgery.

I feel I am slowly getting better on my own, though I did have 6 attacks yesterday. However now my ear is being weird. Burning, itchy and this morning I heard a low rumbling sound briefly. I feel I am at end of my rope. I can't catch a break.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      With whooping cough. You know as it's like sucking in air ,along with a cough ,my brother had this ,the sound is totally different from run of mill cough .I have a sinus cough ,comes with allergies .Pray whooping cough passes me by ,I'm all about done in with virus infections . I agree with you Lynn ,always saying everytime I pick something up ,I can't get a break just got over last one that was going around , the pharmacists was ill with it to ,that's when he pointed up to the chemists shops Air Con ,being a problem ,his job must know what it can do .
      Stay warm Lynn and Danny Boy .