Why Am I Still So Worried?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jp1995, Apr 12, 2018.

1. jp1995
      No Mood

jp1995 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      I have had tinnitus for the last 5 months or so. I have good and bad days. Usually it seems to be weeks of good days followed by weeks of bad days. To me, tinnitus, yes, of course is an annoyance, other than that, it does nothing to me. I worry about it before sleep, but can usually fall and stay asleep rather quickly. And that is my biggest ultimate concern is that tinnitus will keep me awake.

5 months later, I have been able to sleep quite easily and soundly each night even with ringing, yet these bad days are marked by such high levels of anxiety, you know? What exactly am I even worried about? A few weeks ago I was ready to post a success story since it had become so minimal in my life, not thinking about it, not worrying about it and when I heard it I accepted it, but yet here I am again asking for your advice.

It really leads me to wonder how much of tinnitus is just anxiety, and how many people have it in the world and don't worry about it at all. Pete Townshend for instance, has had tinnitus for years and years, and still plays extremely loudly with his band. It is all the mindset, and if you have a weak or bleak mindset you can become enthralled by tinnitus and it consumes you.

I had anxiety before tinnitus and seriously believe that this anxiety severely exacerbates my tinnitus and it is never as bad as I believe it to be. I can't even measure its loudness, on the bad days it "appears" loudest, on the good days its non-existent mentally.

Do people with a history of depression and anxiety have a harder fare with tinnitus? That's what I am starting to believe.

2. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Yes, there is a clear connection with people having clinical depression or anxiety and their ability to cope with health changes. This is not limited to T. For me I deal with multiple chronic issues and they all cause the same anxiety / depression.

You are not weak if you have anxiety or depression. These are real clinical health issues that deserve the same respect as a broken arm for example.

• Like Like x 1