Why Do I Hear So Much Better When I Touch My Ear (Tragus) with My Finger?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Martinf, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Okay guys, this has been on my mind for very long time and I can't seem to find an explanation for this. I know that cupping your hand around your ear can help to amplify sounds and boost frequencies between 1 kHz and 4 kHz but I am not talking about that. If I touch my tragus with my one finger for example, everything suddenly sounds so much brighter.

Let's say I am hearing crickets and the sound is very far and faint. If I touch my tragus, the sound will be near and very clear. If I am cooking or hearing a machine sound, or white noise etc... just by touching my tragus everything will sound so rich and shiny. When I listen to music and I touch my tragus I hear the Hi-Hats and cymbals much better, even the snares will sound richer. It is like I hear more the clarity and the sizzle of the music, there's a lot of details in music that I couldn't hear without touching my tragus!

It is like I have low-pass filter at 6 kHz that I can only cancel with touching my tragus. Cupping my ears with my hands will not let me hear the high frequencies I hear with touching my tragus.

I wanted to test my hearing with pure tones on my computer speaker, I put the volume on 10% and started testing from low to high frequencies. After 4.5 kHz the sound start to diminish until 6 kHz. The 6 kHz was sounding very faint and I couldn't hear anything above it. I touched my tragus and the magic happens, the 6 kHz sounded so freaking loud suddenly, but when I "untouched" my tragus I heard the 6 kHz very faint, so if I touch and release I will hear (Beep, Beep, Beep...) I kept increasing the frequency while touching my tragus, I got to about 7 kHz and then the sound start to diminish slowly until 10.5 kHz.

I have 15 dB hearing loss at 5 kHz and about 25 dB at 6 kHz (more hearing loss on higher frequencies).

I figure out that with touching my tragus I amplify these high frequencies, and I would hear them just like if I didn't have any hearing loss at all in that range. I would be interested to know if somebody here is experiencing the same?

Is there anybody who has an explanation for this? Now I listen to all the music with fingers on tragus LOL!

@Contrast I would like to hear your opinion on this :)

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Does anybody have any idea? It is just crazy how well I can hear when I touch my Tragus. Whenever I do this I hear sounds that are not audible for me without touching my ears. Sometimes I can modulate my tinnitus with pinching my Tragus or pushing it inside my ear canal or pulling it out. I am thinking of going to another ENT just for this thing!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Well, it seems like many people have this even without hearing loss/tinnitus.

4. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The tragus faces rearwards, it aids in collecting sounds originating from behind. These sounds are delayed more than sounds arriving from the front, assisting the brain to sense front versus rear sound sources.

Tragus_(ear)

Keep us posted on what you find.