Why Do I Hear Tones Loud and Clear at the Threshhold of My Hearing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Martinf, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hello guys. I have high-pitched tinnitus and I believe it is interfering with my ability to hear. My audiogram shows 30 dB at 6 kHz and 40 dB at 8 kHz but I actually believe that I don't have hearing loss, because during all the hearing tests I've done, I noticed that the moment I hear the 8 kHz, it is so loud! It is like if you play 8 kHz at 35 dB in my ears, I hear nothing (because of my tinnitus) and then suddenly at 40 dB it is so loud! I mean although my hearing threshold at 8 kHz is 40 dB, I feel like I'm hearing 8 kHz at 40 dB just like anyone who doesn't have any hearing loss at all.

On my extended hearing test up to 16 kHz I had the biggest surprise. I thought I'm stone deaf above 13 kHz but the audiogram was showing 70 dB at 16 kHz and only 30 dB at 10 kHz (notice how my hearing is better at 10 kHz than 8 kHz).

If I really had hearing loss on those high frequencies, am I not supposed to hear them faint at my hearing threshold? Many members in my father's side family have tinnitus and when they went to see ENTs, they all told them it's due to weak veins. I wonder what they mean by that because no ENT I've gone to told me the same. My family members also have blood pressure problems, but my blood pressure is good, however I do get pulsatile tinnitus sometimes.

I can't stop listening to my tinnitus or mask it due to its high frequency and annoyance. I believe if I somehow got my mind off the tinnitus, I would hear fine. It's been more than 14 months now and it is driving me crazy. Can somebody help?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Anyone?

3. Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, I suspect stress/smoking/tmj/neck issues
      My case isn't like yours, my tinnitus is at about 1.7 kHz, so not as high pitched. All I can say is I'm also in a tough spot and looking for answers, so you aren't alone.