Why Doesn't Everyone Also Have Hyperacusis AND Hearing Loss If They Experience Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marko Nakovski, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      It’s almost like the hyperacusis comes on too late. It hurts to look at the sun or touch something hot so you stop doing it. Loud music use to actually feels good. If I had a little ear pain from loud noises when I was young I would have been more careful.

Most young people don’t care and too many of them don’t heed the advice. I watched my grandmother and my own mother struggling with their hearing aids. Dad should have had them too. I don’t even remember them being exposed to too much excessive noise.

I’ll be getting hearing aids at a much younger age than they did. Sure hope the same isn’t true for my children. My daughter said to me the other day “they will have a medical solution too it by the time we are your age”. I’m hoping a lot sooner than that. :)

2. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I had another hearing test yesterday. I am 42F. I have no idea what it does after 8 kHz but no audiologist in my entire town does an extended test.

250 Hz
      L: 15 dB
      R: 15 dB

500 Hz
      R: 15 dB

1 kHz
      L: 10 dB
      R: 10 dB

2 kHz
      R: 5 dB

3 kHz
      L: 5 dB

4 kHz

7 kHz

8 kHz

A couple of dips there but not a lot to explain my severe tinnitus. I also have hyperacusis in my left ear, and pain hyperacusis in my right ear. I was told that hyperacusis is a psychological condition and that if I controlled my anxiety I would better manage my hyperacusis and TTTS. Humpf.

If my anxiety were the case though, why do I only have the pain in the right ear and why is my right ear more sensitive to sound in general? No one seems to be able to tell me. Not to mention my right ear has better hearing!