Why I Don't Believe "Tinnitus Cannot Be Cured"...

Discussion in 'Support' started by deathbymigraine, Jan 18, 2016.

1. deathbymigraine

deathbymigraine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/29/14
      One word: NEUROPLASTICITY- "The brain's ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections throughout life." For those of you who aren't aware, tinnitus IS an example of how neuroplasticity works. There was a point in almost all of our lives where we didn't this ringing sound/sensation but suddenly it started, and hasn't left since. This is because our brains have REORGANIZED themselves, to permanently warn us of "impending danger," and haven't been taught that what it is doing is wrong, and that sound shouldn't be there. You with me? Tinnitus is like chronic pain. If you break your leg when you are 12, then have leg pain well into your 40's, this is no longer a symptom of the injury, but a disease itself as the injury has been healed for years. Chronic pain is learned pain, and tinnitus is "learned" as well. It starts with an injury to the ear 9 times out of 10, but then the brain keeps telling us that "injury" or sound is there, for years if not forever.

My background: 22 y/o F that has been sick with an undiagnosed neurological illness for 3 years. The worst symptom? A constant 24/7 migraine for 33 months. It wasn't until a year and a half after my headache started that my tinnitus started-not from a loud noise, but from an FDA approved TENS (electrical stimulation) unit that you attach to your head to prevent/treat migraines. Why do I bring this up? Because 1. I have been researching Neuroplasticity for 5 months, which is the only thing that gives me hope that I will be healthy again one day. 2. It is clear that the electrical currents over sensitized my already hyper-sensitive brain/neurons, resulting in seemingly permanent ear-ringing.

So when people say "there is no cure for tinnitus" they are technically correct, as there is no approved silver bullet pill or treatment RIGHT NOW, BUT from my research, I find that neuroplasticity is both the cause of tinnitus, AND our cure. The problem.. How DO we tap into our brains to retrain them to go back to normal/pre-tinnitus? I am hopeful that in the next several years there will be a major breakthrough. The following two articles may give you slight hope if you haven't seen them already. Whether it is vagus nerve stimulation, rTMS, etc., I believe we will get there.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110112132130.htm
      https://gumc.georgetown.edu/news/Ne...alities-Responsible-for-Tinnitus-Chronic-Pain

I commend those who have been able to accept their tinnitus. I however am not one of those people. I have always been a stubborn fighter, I believe in the body's innate ability to heal itself, and I have confidence that with all the technology out there, we will find a cure soon. Best wishes to everyone. No one should have to go through any of this.

• Like x 3
      • Informative x 3
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Genius x 1
      • Useful x 1
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I think you're a good candidate for the Back To Silence technique.

Note: This is a 29-page thread. The technique is outlined at the beginning, with lots of questions, answers, and comments posted throughout the thread. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      deathbymigraine

deathbymigraine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/29/14
      Much appreciated, will look into. Thanks

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I like your optimism, and I absolutely agree that in some cases, there may be cognitive practices which can impact tinnitus in a positive way because of neuroplastic changes over time.

However, just because something is the result of neuroplastic aberrations, does not necessarily mean that it is completely reversible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. mdsfe

mdsfe Guest

Please see bit.ly/1OHNSKd