Why Is My Tinnitus Worse Now?

Discussion in 'Support' started by areilly91, Dec 7, 2013.

1. areilly91

areilly91 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2113
      I have had two good days in a row. I'm using the widex hearing aids with the zen program on from morning til night. I came home from work so happy, it was down to a low hiss. I'm in my room relaxing, having a snack, watching YouTube and I start to drift off to sleep. I noticed the hiss getting louder and louder but tried to relax and take a nap. Now it is definitely louder and I'm so annoyed! This happens every weekend! Why is it generally worse for me when I'm supposed to be relaxing? As a side note, my t is always very loud in the morning and after I put the aides in it usually simmers down to a low hiss.

2. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      :)Hi areilly91, I think you perceive the tinnitus as louder on waking because there is no other noise or anything else to focus on. If you were woken by the telephone and immediately got into conversation you'd probably not notice it till you'd finished talking. Also, while you're asleep your subconcious is still alert and looking for threats and because of your reaction to tinnitus it sees it as a threat so makes sure you hear it as soon as you wake. Weekends are always more difficult because your mind is usually less occupied. The right but difficult thing to do is to try not to react however loud it gets and your central nervous system will think 'hey, he's not bothered by this so it's obviously not anything to worry about so we'll turn it down.' This may be hard to believe but your brain does have the ability to make you hear the same volume as much louder or much quieter, depending on how you react to it. Try not to get away from and avoid the sound, but accept it is there (sometimes very difficult and distressing) and the less you react, the easier it will be. Hope you imporove soon, take care.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      areilly91

areilly91 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2113
      Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I guess I do know this. I need to figure out HOW to accept it. I am grateful that I do have low days, at least I have that.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1