Why Is There No Cure for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hazel, Sep 7, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
    2. JaysterT

JaysterT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicty?
      This might sound like a dumb idea to some but we need to use large platforms to either gather data or get more awareness. Instagram for one comes to mind.

3. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Please start researching tinnitus! You obviously have a background in related subjects.

We need to find a way to get MASSES of funding for this.

4. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Yes, well, that would be the next step, is to get funding for the research. But if the Tinnitus Talk community is willing to help out, contribute answers, participate in the research, there may be quite a bit that can be done on the cheap.

• Like Like x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      upload_2019-9-10_15-15-24.png

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      My vision went blurred at almost the same time as getting tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. CricketEars

CricketEars Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      That’s an awesome idea!
      • I think talking about how there’s so much more to hearing issues than people think (they think we just hear quieter and need more volume, when in reality, there’s distortion, reverberation, hyperacusis, etc). Also people think hearing aids just fix everything, but unfortunately they do not
      • That habituation and coping (while necessary) are not cures or acceptable as an answer
      • The stuff you see on TV or in read about on articles doesn’t work
      • The “5–10 year cure” has been promised for decades
      • Those of us with hearing problems have a higher rate of developing dementia later on
      Just my thoughts. Also if the documentary needs a video editor, let me know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It might not get anywhere, will have to see if they like the idea. There's no guarantee. The documentary filmmaker I know makes them for both US and UK TV.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Let us know if you get anywhere! We've had multiple members over the years, even semi-professional film producers, promise to create an awareness raising documentary, but so far no one has pulled it off :(

If you do manage however, we'd love to publish it as a Tinnitus Hub video - you can find our video channel here on YouTube or here on Vimeo.

• Creative Creative x 1
    10. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Let's see what happens. What seems like a good idea to us, doesn't necessarily sound like a good idea to commercial filmmakers. And they would have to make money from it, so it wouldn't necessarily be a documentary that we would like.

11. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I've developed more floaters, and now have visual snow and increased sensitivity to light.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wow, now that's an insight. Do you have any idea why?

13. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      Concerning movies and documentaries I thought Lady Gaga was going to do some kind of outreach or speech after the success of her movie. I tried to write a letter and send it out but couldn’t figure out where to send it. Figured while her movie was buzzing maybe Hollywood would jump up on a benefit to add to their list. At least a small mention or small benefit.

14. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Louis Theroux?

• Like Like x 1
    15. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      One angle.

Why There Are No Treatments for Inner Ear...

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Pretty sure due to an ototoxic reaction to Prozac and/or Propranolol.

I'm gutted by it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      There is a certain amount of this, yes. But it's becoming much less pervasive, with both open science movements, and the value of null results, becoming increasingly appreciated. As a scientist, I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of us are doing our very best; intentional misdirection and subversiveness is very rare.

18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's our damn problem so maybe we should be the ones to solve it?

We already know that most people don't even give two shits about us because they are all normies that don't even like to think about negative stuff. We are the ones with the most incentive here. We should just pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps and take our destiny into our own hands.

• Creative Creative x 1
    19. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What can average Joe's like you and I do to accelerate the process to curing tinnitus and hearing loss?

I find a lot of us on Tinnitus Talk will research and research and research, which will only place a lot of info in that one person's mind - but that one person isn't performing actual lab research themselves. They just become more knowledgeable about current studies, which is not necessarily instrumental in making things happen.

I suggest we "put the aces in their places", and arm scientists with what they need to accelerate truly finding a cure.

So what can we average Joe's do to make a difference? Sure, money helps... but I think awareness, and political involvement will go further - allowing REAL money to be invested.

The fact that so many military veterans suffer from tinnitus, and also the recent 3M earplug lawsuit plays in our favor.

So what's next? How can I organize Tinnitus Talk to effectively get our voices heard from our politicians?

Does signing online petitions help? Does calling your local senator, congressman/woman help?

What should we do? I've never done any of that, but I am inspired that this health ailment is getting more attention than ever before, and I'd like to help us all see a cure.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think there is a cure but we just don't know what it is yet.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Victoria76

Victoria76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm willing to donate some money, but how do I know where to donate it if I don't know which set of research is most likely to produce results? All these different projects ought to be combined on a global scale.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      Thanks Hazel, indeed very though question

From living with tinnitus since 20 years now, self experimentation and a lot of lecture regarding tinnitus (thanks to this forum) & other health issues (I also have fibromyalgia since a few years & sleep apneas) I think I'm on to something. and if I can trust my own findings I believe it has to do with unbalance of neurotransmitters and down-regulation of some important receptors in the brain. Long time exposure to stress, traumatic events, sad thinking etc. has completely down-regulated my serotonin levels/receptors. I seem to be able to modulate and sometimes stop some of the tinnitus (and also my fibromyalgia and sleep apnea issues) using some supplements (5-htp, melatonine, phosphatidylserine, magnesium, ...), healthier eating habits, sunlight, exercise & more positive social interaction. The hardest part is to find a balance, but I have the impression that it's more stress then hearing related. Sad enough my workload is always way too high (working as freelancer, 3 children and almost no social interaction as I work alone from home) and this seems to be the reason I can't find good balance in my life, but I'm confident that I'm working in the right direction as fluctuations seem to happen more often than in the past.

A big thanks to you & the whole team for all your hard work, this forum is great!

Peace :)

• Like Like x 2
    23. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Like Like x 3
    24. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Organizations such as retractionwatch are having a fantastic effect as they provide a real hazard for those caught misrepresenting data (or lying as I was raised to understand it). The stick seems to have a particular effect on scientists which is good as we are running out of carrots to give them
      https://regenexx.com/blog/california-institute-for-regenerative-medicine-fool-me-once/

Then their are those who take it even more seriously
      https://www.nature.com/news/stem-cell-pioneer-blamed-media-bashing-in-suicide-note-1.15715

25. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Unfortunately he said he wasn't interested.

Sometimes though they say that and then 'steal' the idea to use for themselves. Don't think that's the case this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Why is there no cure for tinnitus? The amount of time I've spent pondering that question...

What I do feel these days is that until there's a sea-change of attitude in the medical establishment towards this affliction then we're really not going to see much more than the sticking plaster solutions we've had to date.

I sometimes feel I'm living in an alternate universe when I read some of the so-called official advice on how to cope with tinnitus. Advice like, Get good sleep. Are they fc*king serious? Get good sleep??? Getting good sleep is the one bloody thing that's most difficult with a condition that destroys the very thing necessary for good sleep, i.e. a bit of inner silence. When I read advice like, Get good sleep, I can't help think that we're dealing with morons.

I think another BIG problem with tinnitus is that we don't have the optics that other more visual diseases have. Like for example the effects on a person of advanced cancer or Parkinson's (the Michael J Fox presentation really springs to mind). To the outside world we look "normal", and in that respect I think tinnitus is a very hard disease to sell.

Something else that really hacks me off here in the UK is NICE's (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) attitude to things like the Bi-modal stimulation stuff. As a circa 30 year tinnitus sufferer I haven't witnessed anything as promising, exciting (or for that matter something that makes as much sense) as bi-modal stimulation. There's heaps of research going on in all corners of the globe and yet when skimming over NICE's current recommendations (I'm referring to some recent linked documentation on Tinnitus Talk) on how primary care provider's should deal with tinnitus patients it would appear they leapfrog over bi-modal stimulation altogether (on account of there being a lack of research) and instead opt for what they've been doing for many years, which is sit the patient down over a nice cup of tea and have a friendly chat about the ringing noises in their ears and head. Excuse the pun, but, how very nice...

When the medical establishment fails patients as miserably as it has been, is it any wonder people go looking for their own cures? I actually think there's probably enough knowledge among the thousands of people in and around Tinnitus Talk that finding a crowd-sourced cure is a real possibility.

Anyhow, my left ear's been ringing like a b*tch these past couple of days. The only thing that ameliorates it is playing a bit of rain noise or taking a shower. Think I'll go and do both. Have a good evening all.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I feel exactly the same thing. There is a cure on the earth, It's like an escape room. A damn complicated escape room, one that no one ever solved while the key is pointing towards our butts.

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    28. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      There are some treatments that may lower tinnitus for an individual from loud noise exposure, toxic medication use and hearing loss.

There is also some treatments available for specific physical and pulsatile tinnitus causes. Radiological testing, blood work and other tests are always needed. Even if the problem is suspected to be the jaw, neck, sinus or something else, the suspected condition may be secondary as being caused from another problem. A primary problem can be complex. One problem can associate to another problem and one problem can cause/lead to another problem. There will never be one treatment or cure for all with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. JasonWong

JasonWong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise,headphones?
      Why is there no cure for tinnitus? The amount of time I've spent pondering that question...

From a previous post I would say this is the biggest reason:

The basic brain mechanisms underlying tinnitus are still unknown (different theories exist);

• Agree Agree x 3
    30. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang
      I don't think there is Tinnitus, without brain inflammation. Brain inflammation is a result of overactive or incorrectly travelling signal pulses inside the brain.