Why Some People Have Loud Tinnitus While Others Don't?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ThomasC, Nov 4, 2019.

1. ThomasC
      Lonely

ThomasC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      There is a correlation between the degree of hearing loss and the severity of loudness but it seems there is way more than that.

My brother is a guitarist player, he also used to listen loud music through headphones: he has mild tinnitus (and no measured hearing loss).

My mother lost 25 % of her hearing (25 % of her hearing in the 0-8 kHz range) and as she ages her hearing worsens: she has mild tinnitus.

My father has some hearing problems too: mild to moderate but intermittent tinnitus.

Some people have good hearing profiles, their tinnitus is not noise induced but it's loud.

It's bugging me, I'm trying to figure out what may impact tinnitus loudness. Any idea?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      This is a great question.

Sadly, I don't think the research community yet has any idea. In fact, I'm not positive that the research community has yet even fully asked the question!

The answer to this question would likely get us about 2/3rds of the way to understanding the actual mechanisms underlying tinnitus. One day, no doubt!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Not what practices, foods, or medicines, but the actual mechanism? Why do some people have faint tinnitus, and others very loud? What is the exact reason? If it is the amount of hearing loss then why doesn't hearing loss correlate to tinnitus very well? We know there is hearing loss without tinnitus, so what is actually causing the loudness level discrepancy?

4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have tinnitus on both sides with the left side having the bad tinnitus. That said, my hearing is better on my left side than my right.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor