Why Tinnitus Makes Internal Sounds Louder?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Strife_84, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      I have never heard my jaw muscles in my ear. But after getting tinnitus, I can hear a hissing swoosh when I clench my jaw together.

It seems tinnitus amplifies the sounds that are inside our head. At least that is how I feel. I have normal hearing according to an audiogram.

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're getting more stimulation from, and paying a lot more attention to internal sounds and sensory simulation in general, because you're in a heightened state of arousal/anxiety, and that's just how our perceptual systems work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am actually quite relaxed atm. Even spent little time on computer, not making music. But my computer fans are so loud my tinnitus is now crazy.

I have no idea how I messed up my hearing this badly.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      well, your brain's audio is clearly jacked, and even if you feel "relaxed" (which is great btw, congrats), your auditory system has a lot of extra electrical activity (hyperactivity) floating around it.

The sounds you're hearing aren't "weird", they are things most people will hear, if they, say, sit in silent meditation for a period of time. That's very usual to my meditative practice, after 2-3 mins I become very aware of a deep bass sound of blood flowing through my head, and then I'll also become very aware of the sounds of my breath, heartbeat, etc.

Also, having new noises or having your tinnitus change when you clench your jaw is basically expected, given how tinnitus works at a neurological level:
      "The Neural Bases and Neuroengineering of...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can even silent my T quite much for a moment and end the hiss in my right ear when I move my jaw.
      I believe this is the sound my blood flowing etc. It. Does not change with pulse, but this sound is not generated by my brains. This is something I hear. But inside Head. If it would be my brains, I doubt I could silence it with physical movements.

My left ear doesn't hiss, it's only my right.

My T has lowered overall in volume. It does change a bit. Depending on what I do or dont. The high pitch has gotten lower. But now I hear the hissing sound better.

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      this part you're wrong about; 80% of people with tinnitus can alter the sound with physical movements, and while actually being able to silence it is less common, there have been plenty of people who have come through here and said the same thing.

That video I linked is dense and long, but it does a good job explaining the current working neurological theory of how all this connects, and explains why muscle movements tend to modulate tinnitus sounds.