Why We Don't Hear Tinnitus in Our Dreams and Why It Is a Clue

Discussion in 'Research News' started by daedalus, Aug 9, 2014.

1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

2. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That's not what I've heard. I have heard that people who are deaf, still can have tinnitus.

I have never had tinnitus in my sleep, though. I have, however, experienced what I think is a few seconds of silence just after waking up. At least I think I have...

3. vaka

vaka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hearing loss.
    4. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      Weird claim I read here :D Actually, how can you be happy not to hear your T whereas you are not conscious? I mean, I certainly can't hear my T while sleeping, just like I can't enjoy anything from the real world while sleeping and therefore in an unconscious state.

I can still tell myslef when waking up that I spent hours sleeping and therefore without thinking about my T... cool but you know sleeping is like closing your eyes and opening them seconds after with full battery load. The thing you can enjoy is the peaceful state you have when waking up naturally... except that this peaceful part of waking up is when you actually hear your T again and therefore go straight to anxiety or depressed state.

5. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?

I heard T a few times in my dreams, so not sure this is normal ....

• Like Like x 1
    6. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Never had it in my dreams. In fact, when my body was getting tired and wanted to sleep the T lessens. Once I wake up it gradually gets louder.

It may have something to do about just the excitability of the neurons slowing down to allow sleep.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      The classic theory seems wrong to me. I have had low tone hearing loss as long as I can remember. (My sister use to scream bloody murder into my ears.) Never had T.

After my injury and "rei-njury" the joys of T entered my life.

I haven't had T enter my dreams, but like someone else said a spike has woken me up numerous times.

I'm curious in the poles I always say no hearing loss because the loss of my low tones is so normal and did not start my T. Should I be saying I have hearing loss? Because I haven't lost any hearing that caused T.

8. aspen

aspen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      While I am sleeping the tinnitus is also sleeping. The minute I wake up it comes back. I can't wait to put my hearing aids in, it feels better with them in. But it is still there. How much magnesium do you take? I would like to try it.