Will aerobic exercise cause spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Isabella 123, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      My general doctor keeps urging me to exercise more, which of course everybody should. But I went to an aerobics class and afterwards had a bad spike for a few days. Now I'm reluctant to go back. It was not loud music at all, really just the instructor leading us thru the moves with the music in the background, so I don't think it was noise. Does all that jumping up and down stimulate the brain to get loud?

2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      It might. Or it might not. We are all different with our T. But the spike always goes away. But one thing is 100% guaranteed - exercise is GOOD for you and thus to your T as well!

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi, I was interested in this as well, I read one article that stated people with tinnitus should avoid high impact exercise such as running, alot of jumping because the constant jarring of the head affects the crystals in the ear?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...IQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNH7u2TX0wwmbM8qWCnYGJyUJhlMPQ

But I don't know if there is any truth to this or not? Some can run, jump, weightlift without any problems, everyone is different....maybe try low impact exercises such as cycling instead?

4. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I am having a spike after coming back from gym. Is it my bp?

5. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I noticed after jogging that my tinnitus gets a bit louder. It used to bother me but I need exercise for stress management so I've just ignored the spikes. My tinnitus always returns to the level it was. I'm going back to the gym tomorrow so will see what happens after weights and cardio. I need to keep my bones strong and exercise is the only way. I had tried the gym earlier in my journey and it was upsetting when my T spiked but I have habituated my reaction to the point where I mostly don't care.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I do weight training 4 to 5 times a week and fit 30 minutes of cardio on the other two days and get a spike for 1/2 hour after then returns to base line. Exercise reduces stress, makes you sleep better and many other beenfits including muscle building and fat reduction. Definitely a win win situation.!!!!!

7. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      To me it generally seems that anything that can change/increase blood circulation (especially to the ears) can either increase or decrease some peoples tinnitus. So i'd guess that exercise could go either way.

8. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Exercise is a centerpiece of my life. I was a competitive swimmer and cyclist and I still cycle and swim just about everyday. Cycling in particular when riding vigorously...I ride with the fast guys in town, can cause my tinnitus to spike. Its still worth it because what I love to do...and the spikes subside with time.

But OP...if you are engaging in exercise with loud background music, the raised noise level plus the surge in adrenaline in your system maybe spiking your tinnitus. I suggest ear plugs to abate sound levels of background music to eliminate that contribution.

To me the benefit of exercise exceed the downside of a tinnitus spike. Only my opinion and I suppose it could vary by the person. I think one of the ways of getting over tinnitus at some level is accepting spikes as part of the disorder.
      Don't let T win. Live life on your terms and exercise improves quality of life overall.