Will This Spike Go Down? Before This Flu Tinnitus Was Barely Noticeable, Now It's Roaring Loud

Discussion in 'Support' started by yborleevoor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. yborleevoor
      Artistic

yborleevoor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress, maybe depression
      I got the flu last week, it completely blocked my Eustachian tubes making me have to perform the valsalva maneuver a few times to level out my ears. Before I got the flu my tinnitus was so low it was barely noticeable now it's roaring loud.

Will it go back down or is it stuck like this forever? Has anyone had a similar situation?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Wait for at least three months before worrying about it becoming permanent. I think it is better to abstain from doing Valsalva Maneuver unless you absolutely have to.

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      yes. i think it will go back to baseline once your eustachean tube is less inflamed. you probably have fluid in your middle ear. you could have a tympanogram to assess for a middle ear effusion, but personally, id wait it out.

you could probably have your ears checked too to ensure you dont have an infection.

try some congestants and steam inhalation. Youll need to give your ears a few weeks to settle down as you probably have residual inflammation.

yes. ive had flu like symptoms (lyme), multiple ear infections, and 2 root canals because of abscessed teeth, along with removal of multiple amalgams since t. It always settles down.

i think there are threads on here about eustachean tube infections etc. kaelon? started one i think?

easier said than done, but try not to stress about it.

4. Jackvh

Jackvh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1january 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firework rocket exploded on the ground
      Dont search for the sound. Ignore it or it might be like that

5. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      When you had the flu did you take any flu medications and if so, many of them can spike Tinnitus or even cause Tinnitus. I got my Tinnitus from taking an antibiotic right before a flight from CO to CA back in 1991 and it pretty much became a background noise until i recently took NasaCort and it came back with a double vengence! Been off work for 2 weeks because i can't get much sleep. So be careful about taking any more meds and if you do, make sure they're not "ototoxic" and many are!

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Or it could just be from the flu. I have severe hearing loss and tinnitus from a virus.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yborleevoor
      Artistic

yborleevoor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress, maybe depression
      I've had T in my right ear, but now after the flu I have a really loud high pitch in my left ear, my right ear is a little louder as well. I really hope this is just some kind of spike. I'm taking your word for it, but it's causing me so much distress. I think it woke me up in the middle of the night last night and that scares the crap out of me.

I took benzo for my coughing.