Wisdom Teeth and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by derpytia, Jun 8, 2014.

1. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      So I found out that when I get home for the summer I'm gonna have to have my wisdom tooth removed... fun fun fun NOT.
      I'm worried though that any drugs they give me will be ototoxic and will make my T worse permanently. Anyone else going through this dilemma and what kind of tips and tricks should I use to get through the painful process?

2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Derpytia, I have T for 24 years. Had my relapses. The last ten years have been great. During that time. I've had a wisdom tooth pulled, root canal, Hernia surgery, 3 stent inserted my my artery, heart attack and another stent. Nothing made my T spike. After my wisdom extraction I just took aspirin. Good luck. Currently dealing with a spike for no apparent reason except stress.

• Like Like x 1
    3. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      @derpytia
      I may not be one to give correct info on this post. I have a distrust of Dentists in general being that I think some do unnecessary work just to make money. Wisdom teeth on the other hand have to taken care of. I had mine out.

Concerning the dentist drug Novocain, I thought of that the other day after the ideas of Tinnitus quieting down? Why don't they just inject Novocain directly in my ear, and put it all to sleep. Of course I don't know what I'm taking about. At least it's no drilling with the wisdom teeth. Good luck to you and I can only think of Dr. Ancill's post that claimed not all drugs are ototoxic, maybe most are not. Although going to the Dentist might not be something to look forward too, that is if you have a life.

4. leelo
      Pacman

leelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2014
      Hello everyone. I have tinnitus that comes and go and tend to travel from my ear to head. I have been having problems with my wisdom teeth for couple months. I was wondering can this contribute to my tinnitis coming or being louder. My wisdom teeth hurt and it caused a lump under my jaw. Do you think I should remove it? Would it improve my T if i remove it?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Impacted? I would think yes.

6. leelo
      Pacman

leelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2014
      Yes on both sides.

7. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I had severely impacted wisdom teeth for a number of years and finally got them removed soon after getting tinnitus. I was also hoping that it would possibly make some sort of improvement but unfortunately it didn't seem to effect my tinnitus at all. However, the pain relief was well worth the procedure, I was in pain for years but kept putting the procedure off, so in that respect I'm super happy I got it over and done with.

However, that's not to say that you won't find any benefit in regards to your tinnitus from having your wisdom teeth removed, everyone is different and there are countless factors that affect our perception of tinnitus. If you're wisdom teeth are causing you trouble with pain and messing with your jaw, *definitely* get the procedure done, but if you're solely doing it in hopes that it might reduce your tinnitus, you might want to save some cash and consider some alternatives first. Hope that helps!

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      ha, you and i are kinda in the same boat, friend! I have a wisdom tooth on my bottom right side that's breaking through the gum. it doesn't hurt me or anything but i can't tell if it's impacted or if it needs to be taken out. luckily i have a dentists appt soon to see if it does need to be removed. who knows, maybe that's aggravating my T since it's on the side that the T started in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Hengist
      Blah

Hengist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/7/2014
      Yes, identical situation here, I have cavity and got it filled with a filling, the procedure failed as stuff still gets inside and a month later I got tinnitus. I am trying to find out how to calm this nerve down before I try to fix or pull the tooth as the signal can get into your brain with time and that will make tinnitus root cause get based in brain.

10. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      My understanding is IF it is dental related and the problem is resolved then T will stop. One article suggested to ask the dentist to numb the nerve of the suspected tooth and if it reduces the T then its likely the problem.

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Hengist
      Blah

Hengist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/7/2014
      Very smart idea, although I also read that pulling teeth out can cause tinnitus, what do you think about that? How should we proceed with these dental related tinnituses?

12. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      A tooth that needs to be pulled probably has more health implications than T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Hengist
      Blah

Hengist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/7/2014
      Can you please try to be more specific? A tooth can have decay, damage, infection or inflammation of some non-infectious source all of which are somewhat related or similiar. What exactly can we do except the anesthesia test?

14. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      It sounds like you need to consult with your Dentist. If you don't like what your Dentist has to say, you should get a second opinion. Many Dentists have T from using high speed drills. If you get drilled on, ask them to go in short durations. Getting opinions online about medical and dental can be hazardous to your health if you follow them without proper examination. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      You suspect that a cavity filling has failed and tooth decay is forming around the edges of the filling and thats causing or increasing your T?

16. Hengist
      Blah

Hengist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/7/2014
      Causing it.