Working at Stopping Xanax

Discussion in 'Support' started by cowdodge, Mar 13, 2016.

1. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have taken Xanax for almost 15 years and decided that it's not helping me with my tinnitus anymore. I have only taken two tabs a day at .025 per tab. I'm tapering at 1/4 of a tab per week. Is this fast?

My doctor stated to me a much slower withdrawal but his period of time would be five years as we figured? I'm concerned that at that pace I will be long gone.

What signs should I look for for problems with my program? My tinnitus still bothers me but I can live with that but the drug well it seems to be doing nothing so why keep on taking it?

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As someone who has withdrawn from benzos after years, I'd say go as fast as you can tolerate. 5 years sounds a bit long, but it took me almost that long to withdraw successfully.

3. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      I know how u feel. This is how I feel. Except I would go slow like Doc said, he actually sounds like he cares.

4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      The Ashton manual recommends switching to Valium because of its longer half life and tapering down from there. If you want to get a few second opinions call different pharmacists and see what they say.