Worried About My Tinnitus Getting Wore When I Get a Cold Again

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I know it is stupid but I have been really worried about my tinnitus getting worse when I get a cold again. Since my tinnitus was caused by a cold I'm worried that everytime I have a cold it will just keep getting worse?

I've not had a cold since the one that caused my tinnitus back in 2017 but it's the only thing I worry about. I know I shouldn't worry but I can't help it when it's what caused my tinnitus.

Has anyone on here whose tinnitus was caused by a cold ever had another cold and was fine?

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Keep hand sanitizer on you at all times, and use it everytime you touch anything public and also periodically rub it up your nose and dont just touch your face out of habit. go you start to feel a tingle up your nose, snort a little vodka. It burns but I feel like it really works.

3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      My hearing loss and tinnitus was caused by a cold. I’ve had several since without any further long term damage. It does spike my tinnitus when I’m sick, but that is not unusual even for people without chronic tinnitus and hearing loss.

Rather than snort vodka . . . o_O I take vitamin C and B12 when I feel a cold coming on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks @Tinker Bell, I'm fine if it spikes but just worried if it stays like that so it's good to hear that you haven't had any further damage from colds. It gives me hope that I could be fine.

I shall make a note of vitamin C and B12 recommendation, I couldn't do the vodka thing anyway as I don't drink due to medication I'm on.

• Like Like x 1
    5. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I know how you feel. I got my T from a cold/ear infection and was absolutely terrified afterwards about how my T would react to future colds. Having small children around me, there is never any shortage of germs.

The good news is, in the time since I've had T (coming up on 4 years), not one single cold of the 10+ I've had in that timespan did anything to my T. The two things that helped me overcome the fear were

1. Be well prepared for your cold. Keep medication on hand (in my case, Allegra-D) to reduce sinus congestion and be sure to limit the duration of the cold and it's severity when it does hit. Rest all that you can, drink plenty of fluids, all that jazz that us responsible adults know we should do but normally don't. Then the cold lasts 7+ days and we wonder why.

2. Realize that I had dozens of colds in my life that did NOT lead to me getting T.

• Like Like x 3
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks I'm so glad there are people who have had colds and been fine, makes me not worry as much. I always have sinus issues, even when I don't have a cold and tried everything, but nothing has worked for me.

When I get colds I normally take Sudafed. Do you think that will be ok to take?

7. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      That is also something that worries me alot, i somehow was thinking that every cold from now on makes it progressively worse. However it is reassuring reading the comments. Thanks everyone=).

8. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I always have sinus issues as well. Sudafed (the over the counter variety) is good, but I would go for Allegra-D since it has more of the active ingredient in Sudafed. It's the stuff they keep behind the counter, because they need to regulate how much of it is sold to one person (the active ingredient in it can be used to make a form of methamphetamine).

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I'm worried I won't be able to have allegra-D as I'm already on antihistamines which is one of the ingredients. I take two a day?

Also I couldn't find it in any of the pharmacies here, does it go by another name in the UK?

10. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Not sure if it goes by another name in the UK.

Perhaps you can have a friend purchase some ahead of time for you and just keep it on hand? Also, check with your health care provider about the drug interaction between it and what you're currently taking.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I'm seeing my GP next week so I'll ask about it and see if there are any interactions.