Worried About the Progression of My Tinnitus — Any Advice & Encouragement?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by OldRobert, Mar 17, 2022.

1. OldRobert

OldRobert Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Greetings To All...

To keep the intro short, I will just post my present condition, and state my tinnitus has slowly progressed from January 2021, from a mild high frequency hissing in the left ear only, to the following:

High frequency hissing (6 kHz @ 62 dBc) in both ears, and low frequency rumbling (90 Hz @ 46 dBc), tinnitus is 24/7. Short term higher frequency ‘spikes’ (above 6 kHz) typically 2-3 each day, occurring during the day or sleep (can wake me up).

MRI in January 2021, and CTA November 2021. Hearing test (up to 8 kHz) and pressure test. Some high frequency hearing loss but nothing serious.

The low frequency rumbling (even false feeling of vibration) is very difficult but can be masked with earplugs that block nearly 100 percent of sound.

Scheduled for another MRI in April 2022, and for an appointment with a hearing facility that is supposed to have some understanding about tinnitus.

So many conditions can cause tinnitus, but the slow progression of the condition is what is concerning.

Thanks so very much.

Robert

2. koffee_monster
      Sleepy

koffee_monster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure or Ototoxicity
      I had a low frequency rumbling in the first two weeks of my tinnitus onset. I am almost certain it was not a phantom sound but an actual sound I heard because of muscles in my ear contracting. The rumbling for me was similar to what some people hear when they yawn or when they close their eyes very tightly.

It subsided after two weeks leaving me with only a very high pitched pure tone in my head and possibly a higher perception of very high pitched sounds (I feel like I can hear the power running through my radio set for example - it is very hard to explain, possibly hyperacusis but it does not cause me pain or discomfort, only awareness of those sounds).

The fact that foam earplugs help to mask your low-frequency rumble may indicate that muscles (or actual physical movements in your ear) are part of the cause.

Perhaps you could discuss the possibility of muscles having a relation to your low frequency rumbling component with the hearing facility staff?

I wish you the best of luck and I hope any causes for your discomfort can be remedied.

3. nogg
      Angry

nogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Computer noise
      You don't mention what started all of this. Did something happen to cause the tinnitus (noise, medication, stress), or did it just start for seemingly no reason? If there was a clear cause, like a noise trauma, then I don't know why you need an MRI. If the cause is unknown and unconnected with anything, then I can see the point. An MRI and some other tests that ENTs like to do can be traumatic themselves on your ears and can worsen your condition, even permanently. If you do go through with the MRI, use the best earplugs you can find.