Yawning with Noise Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Quentino, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      My T ring more when i'm yawning.

I don't understant : what link if it's noise induced?

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Me too.. It doubles in volume. I am noise induced also.

3. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      It sounds related to your TMJ joint, my daughter cured her raging T by getting her TMJD resolved. When I say cured I mean Gone. Took two years though.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      But if you know for sure yours is noise induced it may be you have more than one issue going on, which most of us probably do.

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Yeah, I got that too. Also noise induced. I wonder if it's always done that but I just never really paid attention or cared. Doesn't really bother me though.

6. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think it is at last partly due to the closing of the Eustachian tubes when you yawn...I have the exact same thing..noise induced t and when I yawn wow it goes louder....I really think the tubes closing blocks out external sounds a fair bit for the duration of the yawn and obviously less ambient sound = hearing louder t. Also maybe something to do with the muscles around the face and ear contracting when you yawn...you can actually hear your muscle fibers twitching when they contract (if you put earplugs in for example and tilt clench your jaw or tilt your head back etc..you will hear the low rumbling of your muscle fibers...pretty weird)

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have determined that the noise I get from stretching my jaw or gritting my teeth is separate from my T even though it is literally the same noise, my son who has no T gets the same noise when he grits his teeth as well!
      I do recall having that sensation even before I suffered with T, I get the same when I push my finger hard into my temple also!
      I'm pretty sure it is a natural phenomenon as all the muscles are all joined around your head and ears!

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Further to my post above, I also think that this is the reason we all get relief,(if only for a while), after a shower I think from the force of the water on our heads it must almost massage the head and would make sense from all the connected muscles around our head and ears!
      But this is only a thought, who really knows!
      If I had my own laboratory I could play scientist and maybe answer a few of these questions that bug us all!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Something like 70% of individuals with tinnitus experience the same with jaw clenching, temple pushing, jaw wide opening etc. All of these make my tinnitus scream. A type of somatic tinnitus....

10. Mal
      Wishful

Mal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cinema speakers
      I had the yawn-syndrome-tinnitus before I got my noise induced tinnitus, and I can say the following:

The two phenomenas work completely independent. At least for me. I don't think, they are in any way related.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I get the same thing and I am noise induced.
      I read somewhere that neck and tmj muscles are attached to nerves that innervate the dorsal cochlear nucleus, so in T patients pulling on these muscles will affect it.

12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      That would tell me that you were highly predisposed to get full blown noise induced tinnitus, since your DCN was somewhat hyperactive already.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Same here, and I think you are indeed correct, The two noises, for me anyway, are completely independent of one another!

14. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hate to say your wrong bro, but I don't think that is correct at all!

My 16 year old has perfect hearing right up to past 16000hz, and he has the same noise when he clenches his teeth or yawns.

I think that everyone has this so-called Tinnitus and I think everyone gets it but don't take too much notice of it, I mean why would you, when it's obviously only a pressure thing on your inner ear!

15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @RichL we'd have to ask 100 people without tinnitus if they hear this sound upon clenching, but what I said is correct about the trigeminal nerve innervating the DCN. Still I would warn your son about noise exposure just in case I'm right.

• Like Like x 1
    16. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Oh shit yea bro, I don't profess to be 100% correct either but most people I have mentioned it to, and it would be several dozen, have the same thing, and no Tinnitus, and it does make sense since the ear canal and jaw etc are very close to each other!
      But don't worry about that, I have warned my son regularly and will keep reminding him!;)

17. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It may be two different types of sound.
      It is quite possible that jaw flexing might make an audible noise since its so close to the inner ear. But what I'm experiencing is totally different. My tinnitus actually changes pitch and loudness upon clenching, there is no mistake about it-I know what I'm hearing and its not just the muscles.

18. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      To me, That's got to be issues with the jaw and muscles, like I said my T, and the noise when clenching and yawning, are two distinct noises even though they sound similar, they are definitely separate because the pitch is slightly different.
      Have you had all that checked @dan ?

Another thing is, I remember before I had T, I experienced the same thing with yawning and jaw clenching, I would be 90% sure that it is a normal thing to occur.

19. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      These changes in sound are not uncommon. It's called somatic tinnitus. I would not be surprised if many people, those with and without tinnitus, hear a sound or a change in sound when moving or clenching the jaw, twisting ones neck, etc.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/somatic-tinnitus.812/