Zero Hearing Loss

Knightofknots

Author
Aug 16, 2014
Halifax NS
Tinnitus Since
07/2014
I went to the hearing doctor to get my hearing test and they told me I have no hearing lose and it's perfect. I still have the tinnitus it's quiet but it there when I try to fall asleep. They informed me it's in my head and that there is a good chance it could go away in a month or two. They also said I need to drop my stress level. My stress picked up really badly one day and my T got kicked into high gear. I calmed down and it lowered. So if it isn't in my ears and it's all in my head what does this mean for help? Any tips? I also asked if I had better hearing than a normal people and I lost it and that caused the T but they informed me most people lose that kind of hearing around 20 and I'm 26 now. I'm just confused what to do now.

Thank you for reading.

Usually the hearing test is up to 10khz, but loss is happening at higher frequencies.
My ENT told me that there was slight loss at 4K , but they said it was normal at my age and still above average.
I too have high frequency T and still can hear above 16000 up to 18000hz.

@bwspot
Did they test you at those high frequencies, or did you do a self test?
When I self test, I cheat with the volume, and can hear much higher than in the audio testing booth.

Might want to get an Otoacoustic emissions test.

I myself also have no hearing loss up to 8k, however if you get into the higher frequencies you'll probably find an issue.

That said, Tinnitus is not always correlated to hearing loss, for if that were the case everyone over age 45 would have T.

@bwspot
Did they test you at those high frequencies, or did you do a self test?
When I self test, I cheat with the volume, and can hear much higher than in the audio testing booth.
They only tested me up to 8000-10000Hz.
I tested myself before I got T and with low volumes I could hear up to 16000Hz easily.
With higher volume up to 18400 and I actually think i might cause T via this experiment!!!.
Now i am afraid to test like that so I just listen to music to see the differences.
I grab the music piece that is well recorded and I play it with audacity at project rate of 44Khz, then 32Khz and so on.
(you must divide it by 2 to get the actual top frequency of the spectrum)
If I can distinguish between 32khz and 44khz I am happy as I this means that I can hear above 16khz which makes me happy. If I would not notice any difference then I would be worried as I love what belongs to this spectrum.
My dad can hear up to 13000 and for me it makes huge difference when I compare files at project rate of 26khz vs 44khz, but we all get old so someday I bet I will reach that point some day with extra addition of my T unless it goes away.

Might want to get an Otoacoustic emissions test.

I myself also have no hearing loss up to 8k, however if you get into the higher frequencies you'll probably find an issue.

That said, Tinnitus is not always correlated to hearing loss, for if that were the case everyone over age 45 would have T.
Agreed, but maybe sudden damage to hair cells causes T reaction compared to gradual hair cell loss due to aging.

Well I said I would try to avoid tinnitus forums, but god its impossible so I'm back. Anyways, I just had my hearing testing this week. No hearing loss, all the way up to 20Khz. The audiologist even told me I have some of the best hearing she's encountered from low-high range. Yet I still have a mild, yet fairly annoying high pitched tinnitus. So it definitely doesn't have to be hearing related. In the past week my tinnitus has calmed down, I'm not sure if its actually quieting down or if its just my perception of it due to minimized stress levels.

I know the first few days I was having anxiety attacks and I was stressing out big time, and the Tinnitus was crazy loud.

Well I said I would try to avoid tinnitus forums, but god its impossible so I'm back. Anyways, I just had my hearing testing this week. No hearing loss, all the way up to 20Khz. The audiologist even told me I have some of the best hearing she's encountered from low-high range. Yet I still have a mild, yet fairly annoying high pitched tinnitus. So it definitely doesn't have to be hearing related. In the past week my tinnitus has calmed down, I'm not sure if its actually quieting down or if its just my perception of it due to minimized stress levels.

I know the first few days I was having anxiety attacks and I was stressing out big time, and the Tinnitus was crazy loud.
Things will get better as time goes on i promise. Either your T will fade or your perception of it will to the point where your just so not even aware of it. I tested myself lastnight and i wore earplugs for a few hours at work ( people were vaccuming and hardcore cleanning so it was a bit noisy) and i hear my T clearly when i wear earplugs but the whole time i was just so foccused on work that i didnt even notice the sound until i remembered. It was like it was just in the backround. Your new though to T, yours has plenty of time to get better.

Things will get better as time goes on i promise. Either your T will fade or your perception of it will to the point where your just so not even aware of it. I tested myself lastnight and i wore earplugs for a few hours at work ( people were vaccuming and hardcore cleanning so it was a bit noisy) and i hear my T clearly when i wear earplugs but the whole time i was just so foccused on work that i didnt even notice the sound until i remembered. It was like it was just in the backround. Your new though to T, yours has plenty of time to get better.

I believe it Grace, It's only been two weeks, but with my stress & anxiety levels down its already definitely better. The first few days it was completely un-maskable, maybe by a shower. Now I can pretty much completely mask it with very very quiet music through headphones (50-60DB) which is honestly a life saver during the day. The only time I'm really bothered now is when I'm trying to fall asleep, I like to sleep on my side so I can't exactly mask it 100% when either one of my ears is blocked. Luckily I'm falling asleep okay, getting about 7-8 hours a night only waking up once or twice for brief periods.

Thats great!!!! The same was for me when i got it.. I remember playing a white noise app by my bed on my phone putting it under my pillow and that masked it and i could fall asleep.. 9 monthes later it faded to where i barely hear it with my head on the pillow soo things do get better has time goes on.
I believe it Grace, It's only been two weeks, but with my stress & anxiety levels down its already definitely better. The first few days it was completely un-maskable, maybe by a shower. Now I can pretty much completely mask it with very very quiet music through headphones (50-60DB) which is honestly a life saver during the day. The only time I'm really bothered now is when I'm trying to fall asleep, I like to sleep on my side so I can't exactly mask it 100% when either one of my ears is blocked. Luckily I'm falling asleep okay, getting about 7-8 hours a night only waking up once or twice for brief periods.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now