Zyrtec and tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alexa, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Alexa

Alexa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Today I was almost tinnitus free. I felt normal again. I was experiencing silence. Now since i started to take this zyrtec earlier tonight I'm honestly.....feeling suicidal again....sorry I'm so negative all the time but I'm about to go insane. I cannot sleep tonight. I feel like I'm back to where I started. It's so loud right now.

Has anyone else had this connection? Someone tell me my tinnitus is gonna go back down...I don't know what to do right now. I'm freaking out, it's 1:34 am, I can't sleep. I'm so scared.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Alexa,
      That time of night is when everything feels worst. The thing to remember here is that you've been T-free, and so you know you can be again. Go and find some music to listen to, get a glass of milk, and just get through tonight.

Everything will be alright, it really will.

DD

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexa

Alexa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I just woke up again 10 minutes ago. I really don't want to go back to the sporadic-2-hour-bursts of sleep phase again. It does seem like the tinnitus has calmed down a bit, although the air conditioner is still on right now so it could just be masking it. prior to this i was getting on normally without the AC or fan on all the time. Hopefully I'll get back to the point I was at before after the pill finishes wearing off. I'm still really frightened and nervous right now. I feel even more awful knowing I was so close to being back to "normal" before I took that stupid pill. I just really feel like dying.

4. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi Alexa,

I think sometimes it makes it harder when the tinnitus goes right down, almost not there, or even goes away completely and then comes back.

It happens to me and every time it comes back there is a horrid sense of disappointment.

It's also so hard to habituate - how can you get used to something that changes so much?

But you and I have to remember that the fact that it does go right down or disappears means that it's likely to disappear completely one day.

I'm told it takes a long time so try to stay strong whilst it's screaming.

I've had mine over 7 months and sometimes when it screams I still get scared that the level won't go down again - but it always does.

Click

• Genius Genius x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexa

Alexa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Every time I feel like I'm making progress or getting used to it, it does something to take that away from me. According to my doctor I have a middle ear infection and fluid in both my ears which is probably causing my tinnitus , so it should go away gradually, but when it does this and comes back so loudly and high, and keeps continuing to fluctuate ear to ear like last night and all of today, I just don't feel a trace of hope in me. I was really hopeful yesterday before that flare up, not anymore though. Life is starting to feel very pointless and my gut keeps telling me it will stick around. I can also probably forget about getting any REM sleep tonight.

Another thing is although I have had my tinnitus back for only a bit over a week, I can say I have felt myself become noticeably more distant from everyone I know. I can feel the strain it's putting on my relationships, which just adds to my feelings of anxiety and depression. And there's nothing I can do about it. I don't feel like myself anymore and my closest friend even said that to me too...that I don't seem like myself anymore. I feel like it's unbelievable how much this tinnitus has impacted me in a short amount of time and if it doesn't go away it's just going to continue to destroy destroy destroy. It's been only a little over a week and it feels like much much longer.

I know I sound very gloomy but I guess i needed to get all these current thoughts out of me. i'll get more accustomed to it like everyone else one day. Right now I'm just still feeling very broken and lost.

6. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Finally went to my regular dr today on the base and yes the fluid is still there. Yay..
      Been miserable the last few days because I've had shooting pain in both ears at times along with horrible amounts if pressure in both ears to where it feels like my eardrums are going to explode..ears won't pop or anything.

Dr diagnosed me with ETD. And fluid in ears she prescribed me Zyrtec because she says that it's pretty good at helping people with ETD. But I read on this forum somewhere it being toxic to the ears..
      I know I ask this question so much simply because I'm so paranoid now:( should I worry? Should I take this? She also prescribed me 2 nasal sprays and some sodium thing though I don't think I'll be taking that..

I also took Afrin on Sunday which really burned my nose and causes my left ear to do this weird thing were every time I swallowed I felt a weird pop in my ear..
      She said "that's a good thing" but it frightened me a lot:/ she says that means it was probably helping! But idk..:( I did not like how Afrin made my nose burn for a while.

Any thoughts? How about Zyrtec?

7. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Has anyone given you prednisone by chance?

8. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Yes actually..twice! The first ENT did and the dr who saw my infection but it did not seem to help me what so ever:/ so it's really annoying and scares me I feel like nothing will work for me I'll have this fluid in me forever

9. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Though they were small doses like 4mg for first one than 6mg.

10. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Hmm...the one ENT gave me I think 10mg prednisone for like two weeks for ETD.

Oh, I should add that the tympanometry demonstrated it worked. So I guess it did.

11. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      See they only prescribed me small doses:/ maybe I should ask for a higher one? Even though I HATED taking it the side effects are awful :( but I need relief now..my ears feel sore sometime that's because I think the fluid is really stress on my eardrums ugh..

12. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      I don't know. It's hard to say. I didn't get any side effects from it though.

13. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      I had some bad ones :/ made me really anxious and get pain in my stomach and loads of headaches.

14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I take zertec alot for my alergies and hasnt seemed to effect me T... Alergy pills are sometimes a must have for me so i really have no time to worry if it will make the T worse or not.. Rather be able to breathe right:) but zertecs really good pill.. So see if it helps

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      That's a bit strange, when I was on prednisone I was given 50mg/day for 5 days and then tapered off. When there has been some sort of trauma to the ear (eg. after exposure to acoustic trauma, infection or ototoxic medication), a doctor will usually prescribe a short course of high dose prednisone. 6mg/4mg is a very low dose, maybe get a second opinion? I'm no expert though, but maybe do some research and see what you can come up with. The side effects can be lousy for some but it's worth a go, you could maybe use a benzo temporarily while on the prednisone to combat the anxiety.

16. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      usually prednisone is 1mg per kilo of body weight.

17. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Really? Ugh yeah I will have go I assume..
      This was a Air Force dr but she didn't prescribe me any steroid yesterday..

But the ENT prescribed me a low dose of prednisone and than the urgent care dr prescribed me another low dose.

@Valentin I weigh 108-110 so not sure if 6mg or 4mg is right..

18. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      when I was prescribed prednisone they gave me 5 milligrams and I weigh 215 pounds

19. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
    20. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      I understand now! I read what @Valentin sent me.

21. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      I think zyrtec is ototoxic. If you google zyrtec and tinnitus you will find a lot of info about tinnitus being a common side effect.of zyrtec.

22. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Yeah I feel like at times though people with t think everything will make it worse or cause it. Like I can look up any medication and If I type in for example "concerts and tinnitus" I will see something. I have to take the Zyrtec at least for a few days before I can give up..
      I am still scared about taking it but I mean I have so much fluid in my ears and it's causing me lots of pain and I was diagnosed with ETD on Tuesday along with the fluid..
      So I don't know..my dr didn't want to refer me to a ENT yet because she says that this stuff "should help" not sure if it honestly will though.

23. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Concerta* not concerts

24. schulaura

schulaura Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan 2014
      I found this forum just now and wanted to know what has happened w/ your tinnitus?

• Friendly Friendly x 1