1 Month with Tinnitus — Unbelievably Scared, Brain/Head Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by acute, May 18, 2019.

1. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music. Stress, meds, Invisalign ?
      First of all, English it's not my native language, so sorry for all the mistakes in redaction.

I am 25 years old, and about a month ago I heard very loud music in my car for several days in a row. Then the ringing began. The noise has been changing in these weeks -later I will talk about it-. When the T began, apart from the exposure to noise, I was in a time of great stress.

I've never been more scared in my whole life. I have never felt more vulnerable, desperate, unprotected and helpless. I have never felt the panic of living in a mind that ringing 24/7 and I can't stop it. I have no control.

I have visited ENTs and I have no hearing loss, in fact, it is above the average of my age - at least in the range below 8 kHz. Everything seems to be correct.

My noise started being more noticeable in the right ear and in the entire head. First sounded like some type of electric very high pitched intermittent sound. It seemed to me that I had "layers" of fluctuant high-pitched frequencies rather than flat tones. I could almost feel it. It's hard to describe, but I could feel this extremely high pitched electric zapping inside mi right ear and brain, mixed with other undescribible sounds. After two weeks, those electric sounds seems to have faded a little, decrease volume and has moved to background.

Now I have more like hiss and white noise type, a static ssssshhhhh background noise. Like a badly tuned radio or something. A metallic static-hissing sound. More in the hight pitched spectrum than the low one. That sound doesn't seem like it's coming from my ears, but inside my head.

I do not know if it's a good sign that the sound is changing. But I feel as if this new sound has been established in my brain. As if it were inside, blocked in my auditory memory and nobody could take it out. I do not know if I still have hope that all of this would disappear. I feel lost and scared. I want silence back. My whole life has been turned upside down. I can’t relax doing anything, I don’t ever feel comfy anymore, I hope that this noise in my head could go away.

Thanks for reading.

More data that may have some relevance:

I have been taking antidepressants for 5 years. I stopped them immediately when I read that they could be worsen or cause tinnitus. It's been only 15 days without taking them.

2. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Try to get your hearing tested from 8 kHz-16 kHz. That may find your hearing loss.

3. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017. Worsened 10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones and/or HPPD?
      Are there any test that do this? I've asked around a lot of ENTs and audiologists here in Sweden and nobody has even heard of it.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes there is, but, if I discovered that I have hearing loss for example in 16 kHz, what would that help? And how could it be determined that there has indeed been a loss and not that I was like that in the previous situation? Anyway, I have been told that I can do that test but it would only be just information.

5. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones and/or HPPD?
      Just asking for my own sake. I have bruxism, allergies, have had bad colds, visual snow syndrome, neck and jaw pain/tension, and I have used headphones a lot. If I could rule out acoustic trauma as the cause of my tinnitus, I would feel more hopeful about being able to continue making music which was my only joy in life. Hearing loss over 8000 Hz would make me think headphones was the cause of my tinnitus for sure.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, I understand. I'm so sorry for your suffering :( I think regular ENTs do not practice that test, but here in Spain I went to an Audiologic clinique that seems to do that type of test... The name is "GAES", maybe you could try to find something similar in Sweden.

7. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones and/or HPPD?
      Thanks, I'll search for info on the test Well, not being able to do what you love sucks but then again that's the reality for most people on earth anyway. I hope I can find something else that I enjoy

8. ShawnK

ShawnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1995 (approx)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Military
      Hey acute,

Did you stop on doctors advice or because forums said T can be worse with medications?

If not from a doctor, you should be careful stopping a long term medication, especially antidepressants, cold turkey. You may feel a lot worse off than what the T is causing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1