14, Tinnitus from Birth — Just Found This Forum!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by piriamnai, May 13, 2019.

1. piriamnai
      Cheerful

piriamnai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Birth
      Hi! I'm Vivian-Gray. I'm a 14 yr old 9th grader. I'm also an artist and planning on going to law school! (My art is in my avatar) I found this forum just a few minutes ago.

I've had tinnitus since I was born. It wasn't all that bad (when I was younger it only ever bothered me trying to sleep) but recently it's been getting worse along with some minor hearing loss I experienced. I think it's been in decline since about 2017. I monitor my headphone usage as best I can (setting limits and whatnot). It's also lopsided where my tinnitus is worse in my right ear and originates most from it. I also can't hear that well in that ear, so canceling it out or masking it is a little difficult. I try my best to ignore it but sometimes I get headaches.

It sounds similar to ringing, the best way I can describe it to people I know is just a constant "EEE" or "AAA" sound. Sometimes it flares out of nowhere, getting super loud in either one or both ears, and then quiets back down again. It also sometimes hurts, but not usually. I haven't been able to go to the doctor about it, so I don't know the exact degree of it but I know that it can get in the way of hearing the teacher at school and listening to people in general.

I'm really happy to have found this forum, the only other person I know with tinnitus is my mom.

Hopefully I can meet some other people my age here too?

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      Welcome. Seeing that you are in Minneapolis the University of Minnesota has been running successful trials for tinnitus suppression. You are more than likely too young to take part any upcoming trials, but know that there are some cures on the horizon even right in your backyard.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      piriamnai
      Cheerful

piriamnai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Birth
      Oh wow, I had no idea about that. I know the University of Minnesota is kind of known for doing experiments and stuff like that though. I've been there once or twice and it's really cool. They helped my dad out with some medical stuff about a year or two ago. I guess I'm part of a lucky generation, I have a lot of medical advancements to look forward to.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. There are members from all age groups here. But they may be all actively posting at the same time. You can find some of them posting their success stories before they left. So perhaps through reading their stories you will find some solace and common ground with them. Here are some samples. Take care. God bless.

success story of Jari with tinnitus since 12 years old:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new.7670/

lana got tinnitus at 15 and getting better:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/positivity.13050/

success story of 17 years old Zach:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/fake-it-until-you-make-it.7590/

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Very interesting. What does this mean for neural plasticity? Is tinnitus mostly peripheral?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi piriamnai, I'm an artist too. Welcome, and you're a brave young person I must say.

People on this forum don't like headphones, it can compromise your hearing. There are some nice regenerative therapies coming over the next few years that may be able to help you.

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus and headaches, it would be nice to know what sets it off. You need to protect your ears as much as possible and talk to your teachers about your condition, or have your folks help, so that your educators and friends know what you're going through and can be sensitive and accommodating to your needs. I would say, stay strong, but you sound a thousand times stronger than me.

Sorry I'm not a young one, but young at heart.

Take care
      Daniel

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      piriamnai
      Cheerful

piriamnai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Birth
      What do you quite mean by that? As in how would one develop tinnitus from birth or?
      I know that tinnitus is actually rather common, but usually only in very minor forms. I've heard it tends to come along with other issues regarding your face and head. Like if you need glasses, you might have tinnitus too. But don't quote me on that, lol.

8. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      I'm 16 and have had tinnitus for 3 years. I've seen lots of young people with tinnitus come on here but they usually come and go so I assume it gets better for them.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      piriamnai
      Cheerful

piriamnai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Birth
      That's a nice thought. Maybe you and I will be one of the lucky few as well?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I mean that it would seem like the developing child's brain would adapt to a loss of input through neuroplastic changes.

My theory is that tinnitus in many cases is actually being generated by dysfunctional neurons in the peripheral nervous system. This would better explain instant tinnitus from acoustic trauma.

Most people think tinnitus is merely "in the brain" and that simply cannot always be the case.

11. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Hi, and sorry you are dealing with this at such a young age. It's interesting that you say you have had T since birth, and that you have some hearing problems also. I highly suspect that you experienced something (maybe a virus,) when you were an infant that affected your hearing, which brought you some tinnitus. It would be really good if you could see a good ENT to evaluate your hearing. It's possible some kind of hearing aid would be very beneficial to you.

• Agree Agree x 1