16 kHz Hearing Loss — Intratympanic Steroids or Stem Cells?

Discussion in 'Support' started by vttbx, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Samir My dream was to live in peace. This is not peace. I never asked more from my life really, except for this.

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's really unfortunate, and a jackhammer is an extremely loud and ugly sound, plus the vibration it produces...

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Same here. My trama was at a train station and I was walking under the tressel with my wife. The train was going very fast and passed over us in 10 secs. And were are talking about a highly reflective environment. Damage is done.

I don't think I could risk the IT injections at this point. My state of mind isn't very good now. The risk of IT includes bleeding, infection, worsening of hearing, vertigo, taste change, persistent perforation, worsening of tinnitus. And you need to do four injections for four weeks. But it still is killing me knowing my hearing is bad forever. I'm torn by not acting now as 8k is also down -40,-30 so I do notice not having much at 16k.

4. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Yeah, she did put herself and the baby in an unsafe situation too. People just don't understand. But we have to put ourselves and our own best interest first. If someone offered me free tickets to go to a concert with him or her I would probably say no. I have a problem with saying no to people, but I'm getting better at it. I was in a situation like that today and I said no, I will not go with you to that loud place, I currently have a problem with my hearing. If they are your true friends they will understand. I really hate it that it has come to this, but I am trying really hard not to avoid hanging out with people just because of my condition. At the moment I have to avoid loud places.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      What kind of IT injections? You mean steroids? I'm not sure what you mean by "acting now" but don't we all go through this mourning process? It's like having lost someone dear to us. I mean the realization that we have lost hearing and it's not coming back. That's tough! I have a -45 dB loss at about 1 kHz in my left ear, and it's no fun either. Everything sounds awful in that ear now. Plus all these new noises in that ear and in my head.

I see that your tinnitus started a very long time ago. So it's not an option for you now, but they do say that intratympanic (IT) steroid injections are an effective first line treatment of sudden hearing loss of up to -50 dB (if you a have a greater loss than that then oral steroids are better), it's just something I've read on John Hopkins website. I don't think this is a common practice, still, in the world today. It's probably more common in the US. In other places, they just tell you to play the waiting and resting game. I for one would have liked to get some steroids.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It would be IT injections of steroids. Usually, there is a short amount of time to try steroids for hearing loss. Sorry about your hearing loss as well. FYI, the IT injections are once every week for four weeks. You get injected in one ear, then lay on your side for 30 min without swallowing, yawning or sneezing while you keep your mouth open for the saliva to drip out.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      What happens if you sneeze? Do they have to do it again? I'm just curious... By the way, IT injections is how Frequency Tx will be be administering FX-322. It's a very common mode of access to the middle ear and now the inner ear in the "developed" part of the world. Hopefully this practice will spread throughout the world. Intratympanic injections of steroids is unheard of in Sweden, and I'm pretty sure it's very uncommon in all of Europe. Changing medical practice is difficult, even when evidence of efficacy is there in front of your nose... it's a sad state of affairs. I wish we had access to something like IT steroid injections at clinics over here.

So all these things you list, these are all possible consequences of IT administration of a drug? I have honestly not heard or read much about adverse effects of IT injections of any kind. Even Frequency Tx talks about patient's tolerance to the drug, there was not much mention about their tolerance to the method of administration.

I see your tinnitus started in 2001. Why are you interested in IT steroid injections now? To prevent further damage or decline?