18 Years Old, Tinnitus for 8 Months

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by michael calo, Apr 10, 2015.

1. michael calo
      Dreaming

michael calo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2014
      Hey guys, I've been an active reader of all of the threads here and I've finally decided to join the discussion. This is an outstanding community that has been built here and I'm glad to be a part of it. I've had tinnitus since September of 2014. I went and saw a concert with a few of my friends, yet I was the only one who ended up with this irreversible tinnitus. Ever since I've been taking it day by day, there have been some ups, and some very, very, low downs. However, I've just been taking every moment of every day one cautious step at a time. I went and saw an ENT about 2 months ago (Jan/Feb) of 2015 and they pretty much told me I was shit out of luck. Honestly, if you've had your tinnitus for more than a month, totally skipping the ENT would be much better for your psyche because I HAVE YET to hear good news from anyone after an ENT visit. Just today I went to an actual tinnitus center and although she told me my tinnitus is probably (she was being optimistic) never going away, there are ways to treat it. I have been put on a treatment where I will listen to different sound tracks, nature noises, and specific sounds designed to blend my tinnitus with everything else. She says that her patients have come back to her with a claimed 60% decrease in their tinnitus. I'll be listening to these tracks for 2-4 hours a day for 8-12 months. This made me extremely intrigued and optimistic. My tinnitus I would say is mild, however it does cause me pain after long periods of exercise, ESPECIALLY after surfing or swimming. But, from other stories on here, and from some other medical perspectives I am extremely fortunate. I am always going to try and look at the brighter side of things because at the end of the day it could be MUCH worse. I hope to add to some forums on here and I will definitely be throwing up any news or breakthroughs with my condition. THANKS SO MUCH! I look forward to getting in touch with many of you.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      tinnitus sucks... why were you the only one ? :(

what clinic is this and do you have more details about the treatment ? is it notch music therapy?

welcome to the forum!!

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. Valentina
      No Mood

Valentina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Please Mike do not give up trying to cure your tinnitus, do not stop in front of the first doctor who tells you that there is no remedy. Probably there is no remedy indeed, but probably you will find your way to solve your acoustic trauma. Please... don't give it up! :huganimation:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. Aziz Khan

Aziz Khan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      I'm giving up in few days only as I can't take this anymore .... i really can't

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @michael calo Welcome to TT !

I am sure you will blend in well into this community made up of great people and lots of useful information. I hope the sound therapy will work for you… Keep us updated !

@Aziz Khan Hey mate don't give up.. If yours is that bad to make you think that way I would suggest you to try and use some meds to ease down the anxiety and panic… Look around the threads and you will see lots of new strategies to cope… Have you looked at the Trobalt thread, or have you tried CBT or TRT ? There is lots you can do to make it better, but it has to start in your mind first, fight it, don't flight from it..

Best of luck !

Take care of yourselves and your ears !!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Valentina
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know how you feel Aziz... try to find the strenght inside yourself and please think that you're not alone, but many many people are fighting everyday with this terrific whistle in our heads. In addition, hey!! you are a man! Men are strong, no? :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Aziz Khan

Aziz Khan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      yes true ill fight it I'm doing better then before ... and I know ill get over it

I'm tired of fighting everyday tho .. men need break!!!!!

when I wake up I fight it when I'm out I fight when I'm driving my car I fight it ... I'm exhausted but yes I'll continue fighting it ...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Valentina
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Aziz Khan I am sure you'll get over it. We have no other choice! Just try not to hear it every moment, don't concentrate your attention always on it, otherwise it gets louder and it's impossible to survive. Look for things that make you feel good and happy and keep you mind distracted, okay? Do you promise me? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Aziz Khan

Aziz Khan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      yes I keep my self distracted all the time, I went and checked on my animals yesterday which is very relaxing to me.

so I constantly do this to get distraction the good thing I don't hear it when I'm out.

I promise you!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Marijana
      Kick ass

Marijana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably standing (working) near speakers on a festival
      Hey Michael! :)
      I can see you are doing pretty well (y) you are only 18 yo and it's supposed to be somehow easier for you to accept T as part of your life.
      Do anything what you think it will help you to habituate, as well it will make you happier beacuse you've done something for yourself. Fingers crossed for sound therapy :) Just remember that you can do it and there is no giving up. You can still have normal life, you just need to take a lil bit care of your ears :headphone:

@Aziz Khan
      Mister, dont't you dare to give up, okay?:watching:
      This battle is not over yet, do not surrender! :mad:
      Life is beautiful, no matter what :woot: There is always a way to win game, remember that! You can do it :huganimation:

11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      There are treatments for tinnitus such as trobalt, but you need to watch out for side-effects, I've personally only had slight drunkenness but other people have had far worse effects. Anyway, I wish you the best mate and I'm sorry you've got it so long, but be lucky to have it know than say the 80's or 90's as there's be nothing for tinnitus, we are closer than ever to treating this condition, as proven by trobalt.

12. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      So just like now.^^ Great!

13. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Why did I put know, instead of now haha...Anyway, we do have treatments which do help tinnitus such as trobalt and a cure for hyperacusis keppra...So these are things you couldn't obtain in the 90's or 80's. I'm sure Autifony weren't around back then, obviously lol! So better to have it now, than then. I mean, I would've been screwed back then, as I could't get anything which would've helped, so I count myself as lucky.

14. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      I wouldn't call experimental drugs treatments. Honestly, the long term damage the may cause is just too invasive.

15. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @NiNyu I agree. We simply don't know exactly how someone will react after decades of using these drugs. Many of them couldn't possibly have been tested so long on people (obviously, b/c they haven't existed long enough). I sympathize greatly with people who struggle badly with tinnitus (mine is no picnic some days), but the vast majority of people completely habituate to T w/in 18 months (studies I've seen suggest 98% approx.), so I'd, of course suggest that anyone try things such as CBT and TRT (i.e. non-pharmaceutical, non-surgical solutions) prior to attempting anything else. Given the schedule of habituation for people, it is very hard to tell if the drug actually had any effect (simply because many people improve on their own and a simple placebo would have the same effect). But for some who need pharmaceutical help, I'm glad that it's out there for them much more now than it was in the past....

16. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      i have had tinnitus for 2 years and 8 months and havent habituated yet, , some good days and some bad days though.

• Hug Hug x 1