20 Years of Tinnitus, Gave Up Looking for Cures — I Don't Notice It Anymore UNLESS...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jon P, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      So - 20 years of tinnitus.

I gave up looking for "cures".'

My tinnitus is at around 7230 Hz - both ears - equal volume.

I do not notice it anymore UNLESS:

1/ Something or someone mentions "tinnitus" and I start to notice it again (like right now).

2/ Change of altitude/flying - takes 3 days to "quiet".

3/ I go to sleep listening to audio books - which really works IF you listen to the same audio book over and over until you know every word and sentence. My favorites: Project Hail Mary and The Martian. Never listen to an exciting book or one that you have never listened to before.

I have given up worrying about saying "what???" I have accepted my hearing loss.

That is it.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      If you need hearing aids, you should get them. Hearing loss is considered linked to cognitive decline, if not causal. If you ask more cautious neurologists, they would treat it as if it is causal. E.g.: Cognitive Health & Neurodegenerative Disease

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Too much noise

Too much noise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1981
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shotgun noise
      As someone who put off getting hearing aids, I wholeheartedly agree with these statements. Hearing loss also causes you to lessen your social interaction and increases your risk of depression.

I am like a kid in the candy store now that I have hearing aids. I am amazed by the amount of sounds I hear and realize how much I missed all this time. Plus, there is some research that says tinnitus can decrease for some while wearing hearing aids. I found that to be true.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Congratulations! You have habituated to your tinnitus. Please consider writing a success story in the Success Stories category to help others cope and have hope. Thank you for your positive post. Take good care. God bless.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1