3.5 Months Into Noise-Induced Tinnitus and Hyperacusis: Now on Prednisone

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jass, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Jass

Jass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      Hi All,

I am 3.5 months into noise induced tinnitus. I have tried a few sessions of HBOT and I am now on day 5 of 60 mg oral Prednisone. Has anyone had success with Prednisone this far out?

My tinnitus on average is about a 2-3/10 but when I'm indoors it can range between 3-7/10.

I also developed hyperacusis by like the 3rd day. Do people actually get rid of their hyperacusis?

Here's a short video I made detailing some things:

Tinnitus 2020 3.5 month update

Thank you very much for reading!

Best Regards,

Jassiel

• Like Like x 1
    2. StayCalm
      No Mood

StayCalm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL (moderate) in LE
      Hopefully, some veterans post something helpful here, because I'm the same timeline as you, but I was a late Prednisone (probably a month after hearing loss), and Prednisone made me a total basket case, so I recommend waiting until the course is over before trying to figure out if it helped or not. While I was mid-course I not only became convinced everything (hyperacusis, tinnitus, hearing loss, my future life prospects) was getting worse, but that I was also developing new symptoms like light sensitivity, balance problems, strange head sensations, etc. It was all the steroids talking in retrospect.

Now that I've been off Prednisone for a few days, I'm feeling like I've made some ok baby steps in terms my tinnitus and my hyperacusis. Maybe it was the Prednisone, but I have no idea. My audiogram was identical before and after, but I'm more functional as a person than I was before the course.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, and that happens more often than tinnitus going away. Has your tinnitus faded compared to how it was two months ago?

4. n_li808
      Irritated

n_li808 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      aug 20, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      most likely from acoustic shock/trauma
      Hey @Jass, it sucks we’re going through this... I’ve had tinnitus for 2 months now and it does take a toll on the mental heath. I’m not mentally strong to begin with so it’s been tough. I have pretty much the same symptoms as you, maybe even louder... I notice it when I’m outside, it is like a 2/10 and indoors 3/10, in my room it’s like a 5/10.

Does yours get louder when you lie down? Because mine does...

I have many tones to my tinnitus as well. I experienced a decrease like you, and then suddenly it went up again. It’s been a hell of a roller coaster.

I hope the prednisone helps you out a little. I took prednisone the 5th day after my tinnitus but I don’t think it did anything.

Sorry for the long message but I’m praying my way through this and hopefully one day it will be gone and we’ll have our success story to tell.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jass

Jass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      Hi @n_li808 ,
      Yes it gets louder when I lay down but I think it’s because that’s when I am in my room which is very, very quiet. I have multiple tones, 2-3. High pitch sound but low volume, static and hissing. Also some whistling at times. I’m 3.5 months in and I thought I was improving until last Sunday when it just spiked for no reason.

thanks,
      Jassiel

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jass

Jass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      Hi @Bill Bauer,
      Not sure if it’s faded or I just notice it less. When I am in my room it can get very loud. Usually outdoors I can’t hear it which was always the case. When I yawn it goes up then back down. If I press on my chin it goes up then back down. It’s been a rough ride.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      It might be because ICP increases when CSF goes to your head (compared to when you are standing or sitting) and puts more pressure on the inner ear from inside when you lie down (or even worse, if you bend over or do any kind of excessive straining) so try to sleep on 2-3 pillows to keep your head elevated (30 degrees) for some time.