34 Years of Tinnitus and Counting

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Leimarie, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Leimarie
      Cheerful

Leimarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello everyone, my name is Lisa and I came across this blog for Tinnitus support. I was 5 years old when I remember hearing my first ringing sound in my ears and I have lived with it every day of my life since.

My tinnitus varies in pitch, sound, sometimes multiple sounds at once etc... I have tried every imaginable therapy available, hearing aid, you name it and I've tried it. As an adult I decided I needed to learn to find coping mechanisms or I would probably go crazy. Life is not easy with tinnitus and I often wonder how long I will be able to exist in the working world because the older I get the worse the tinnitus seems to get.

I am a corporate trainer so the need to be able to effectively communicate and hear participants is crucial to my job.

Anyway, I head to a neurontologist to have some recent CT scans read and go from there. It's a shot in the dark but I always have hope that eventually something will work.

My family is very supportive but I don't think they understand the world I live in in regards to tinnitus.

Mentally, I am so tired at the end of the day because of trying to decipher out what people are saying over the ringing and having to focus so hard on listening. I wear hearing aids in both ears as I have pretty profound hearing loss.

I'm looking forward to reading the many threads of what has or hasn't worked for people and who knows maybe I'll try something new and it will work.

Much love and tinnitus music to all!

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Hello and welcome @Leimarie.

Thank-you for sharing your story. You will enjoy reading the many threads here, I know I have. The members are wonderfully supportive and knowledgeable.

I am listening to a youtube video of falling rain as I type. It was graciously shared by a thoughtful member, @New Guy.

Rain Sounds : 9 hour long Raining "Sleep...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leimarie
      Cheerful

Leimarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you! I listen to a lot of nature sounds as that seems to calm me and help my brain be distracted from the T!

4. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      You are more than welcome! I love the sound of rain falling and this video is one of the softest I have heard.

5. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      A warm welcome to you @Leimarie

We are about the same age and my experience with tinnitus seems to be pretty much the same as yours. I am sorry that you are struggling, but you are definitely not alone in this, and you will probably find some comfort on this forum. I really know how it feels to have a supportive family, but at the same time they dont fully understand what this condition does to our mental state in terms of fatigue etc.

On the positive side, there are several things going on when it comes to research, and the last couple of years things have really exploded when it comes to research on hearing loss and tinnitus.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leimarie
      Cheerful

Leimarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you for your encouraging words. I have a dr. apt today and curious as to what options he plans to offer in regards to T. The worst part of the day for me is at night because when I go to bed its quiet and silent and so the T feels deafening. I recently purchased sleepphones and they help some. https://www.sleepphones.com