3D Printed Cochlea Made in Germany

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Samir, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Hello!

This is a bit of old news, but I haven't seen it posted on these forums. I think it may be of some interest.

lzh_3d-printed-cochlear-implant.jpg

It's the result of a collaborative work between Laser Zentrum Hannover (LZH) and Hannover Medical School. They are using Laser Additive Manufacturing (LAM) technology.

"The Surface Technology Group at LZH goes one step further. In cooperation with the Hannover Medical School (MHH), they are developing implants that change their shape due to temperature changes during the surgery and shall thus make the insertion much easier."

Read all about it here:

http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/german-firm-using-3d-printing-repair-damaged-hearing

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140329-using-3d-printing-to-make-ear-implants-with-memory.html

I located the press release, dated 03/27/2014, here:

http://www.lzh.de/en/publications/pressreleases/2014/ear-implants-with-a-memory

• Like Like x 1
    2. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      This news has to be considered pretty huge... even if it's from 2014. I certainly didn't know about this.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Yeah, this is very promising. It goes to show just how long we have come. What's interesting is also that this was in 2014 and we are already in 2017, reading about it only now. We can barely keep up anymore with new developments and innovations happening all around us, not even the best of us who closely follow new developments.

It's an understatement to say that nothing is being done for those of us with tinnitus, hearing loss, deafness and balance disorders. It's insulting to all those researchers, scientists and engineers who are working on all these novel projects. All that work being done around the world can't possibly be in vain.

The great thing about scientific research is that you never know what kind of impact a new discovery will have, where it will come from or who it will benefit. Many discoveries are like that! They are coincidental and unexpected.

The fruits of all this work will have to benefit tinnitus patients at some point. We are now closer than ever, as the number of discoveries, innovations and technological advances accelerates! (So much so that we no longer can keep up with the latest news.) So let's keep that flame of hope burning!

• Agree Agree x 6
    4. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Agreed. There are hundreds of millions invested in the various companies involved in Hearing/Tinnitus research. The fruits of their labors are coming... it's just a matter of time now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. zmogedra

zmogedra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016 02 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Inner ear infection
      This is just a tiny part that LZH made. And I don't think that it was very complicated. Sure you have to mix the right ingredients for the implant, find the right laser energy for 3d printing other than that is just adding a 3d CAD design. I bet it took 1~2 moths to do so.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      @zmogedra You seem well informed!? :)

I don't know about that. But isn't it great that they could do that in 1 to 2 months? Imagine what they could do in 12 months! ;)

Every build has to start with the basic building block. Be it a Lego, computer software, brick house, or the fundamental understanding of math! We have to start somewhere... right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Research is to see what everyone has seen, but to think what no one else has thought!

All the flowers of tomorrow are hidden in the seeds that are sown today!

• Like Like x 1
    8. zmogedra

zmogedra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016 02 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Inner ear infection
      @Samir, I work at a laser centre myself, but not in LZH. Problem with science is that you need funding to do research and to get funding you need to do a lot of paper work, writing projects and so on :/ It is a very slow process. So from my perspective, they spent more time doing paperwork and preparations than the actual work.