4 Weeks in a Unique Case of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kfog, Nov 30, 2017.

1. kfog

kfog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      basketball/cardio? Unknown
      Hello everyone, It's great to find out there's a community like this for all of us battling with T on a daily basis. To start, my name is Kirk. I am a 26 year old male in good health with no prior conditions or medications. Haven't been sick in over a year and try to exercise at least 3-4 times a week. My first introduction to tinnitus was actually a few months ago. I was playing basketball on Mondays every week with some friends. Toward the end of the session of multiple games and high cardio, I had the sensation of fullness of the left ear and slight high pitched tinnitus (4/10). It didn't seem serious and went completely away within an hour. Every week after, the same thing would happen and it seemed to get a little worse. It still would go completely away within a couple hours but this is when I started looking into tinnitus.

About 4 weeks ago after another session, the tinnitus and ear fullness was particularly bad. This time the loss of hearing was also very noticeable in that ear (left). During this event the high pitched T was at a high level (9/10). I assumed it would just go away but I became more worried by each passing hour with no relief. I woke up the next day with a T level of around (7/10) that remained constant. Over the next couple weeks it seemed like there was a slow improvement, however, I did have 2 random spikes during the middle of the day that subsided by the end of the day.

The T was seeming to get better with a constant level of around (4/10) so I decided to try basketball again. This was a mistake and triggered an incident like the original one with a high loss of hearing, ear fullness, and tinnitus. I was prescribed Flonase and advised to take Sudafed after an urgent care visit. I am waiting for them to call me for a referral for ENT but that could take a week and who knows how long until an appointment. I have been taking the Sudafed for 1 day and just started Flonase about 3 hours ago. It seems like the flonase might be doing something as my ear fullness has been reduced and T level has dropped from a constant 6-7/10 to about 5/10. Anyways, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is a good idea to protect your ears from moderate noises (like that of a vacuum cleaner) for at least a year, as your body recovers. After that, it will probably be a bad idea to do things like attending loud concerts (even if you wear ear protection).

• Useful Useful x 2
    3. ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      I had a similar instance before.But not tinnitus or hearing loss. I felt severe one sided headache after an exercise session (crossfit training) . I immediately lie down on floor and it took almost 5 minutes to reliev the pain. But after that, I had recurrent episodes of headache. Done MRI ,results came normal. Doc put me on amytryipline for one month. I took rest from training next month and my headache gone.
      I think your tinnitus is exercise induced ,may be because increased blood flow in capillaries . Give it some time and dont be anxious. Hope you will be cured with in a month or two if you took adequate rest.

• Useful Useful x 1